Add tagging to feeds and stories

i used to run a lot of workshops for journalists, students (new media, journalism) and google reader use to be great tool for coordination of editorial staff. rss by tags are in that kind of environment essential. if you do that by sending emails you lose the flexibilitiy of abstract roles and running the email account with forwarding for every possible role (tag in other scenario) is way too much.

if newsblur gets rss by tags it will bring everything back from once the dominant player google reader. + so much more. pity one single thing stops it from complete replacement :wink:

1 Like

Unfortunately Iā€™ve dropped newsblur for this kind of workflow as it doesnā€™t seem likely that it will ever get supported.

However I think I may have found a replacement that also allows for teams AND posting/editing content direct to various blogging platforms. Iā€™ll let you know how I get on.

1 Like

I think youā€™re looking for a big ticket feature. Is this as simple as adding a tag to a story and then looking at a list of your tags, sorted by cardinality (size), with the stories tagged inside them? Because if so, I can think about building this in a way that makes sense and will only take me a day or two of solid work. Looks like this might be something I can build in the near-term, but I need to know if the way Iā€™ve described it here is going to satisfy your use cases.

1 Like

i think it is more that tags are accessible through their specific rss feeds from outside. if i go back to my shared stories i would prefer to use the same web interface like i would use for otherā€™s people shared stories. e.g. http://marcell.newsblur.com/

i really like the killer newsblur feature where i can filter categories per news site. i would just like to have the same feature for newsblur users who would do that (for their share feeds). iā€™m one of them. still, i think very few will use that feature. but the ones who would use it will love it so strong :slight_smile:

i can imagine a feature where one could use intelligence trainer for every newsblur user (if they use tags for shared items). hope i explained it clear enough.

1 Like

Howdy,

Attempting to convince a friend to move away from Google Reader and the feature he has been looking for other readers is to use tags rather than folders. So you can take a feed and tag it as Video and Games supposing it is a feed with videos of game reviews or something like that.

This doesnā€™t appear to be the same as what others are rooting for in here. If that is the case I can open another ticket for that.

Thanks,
Wraithan
Mozilla WebDev

1 Like

This allows for content curation. Iā€™m subscribed to tens of feeds that Iā€™d like file in folders to ease category based reading/curation/saving/sharing. Then, Iā€™d need to tag (or put in several folders) valuable items with all relevant categories/topics/keywords to share them in tag specific feeds (and eventually connect them with IFTT).

Greader tagging is cool but I really wish I could create hierarchies of tags to ease browsing/curation and topic/tag aggregation.

+1 for the bookmarking. And if the item tags could be transmitted to the bookmark service to avoid double tagging burden, that would be perfect.

This is exactly what I am waiting for since I started using Newsblur. This would make finding older saved stories much easier.

This is good as well. What Iā€™m actually looking for is to make finding old saved stories much easier. And taging them, then looking through the tags would be a very sensible solution.

newsblur, as far as i know, doesnā€™t support that. this thread could eventually convince samuel or someone else to support that feature.

Samuel, what would it take? I bake cakes that make grown adults cry. Or are toffee brownies your thing? ā€¦ **this, mind you, is aside from and in addition to becoming the uncontested No. 1 reader, unequaled in features in every way.

And in case you think Iā€™m asking rhetorically, Iā€™m not. :slight_smile:

This feature would be incredibly useful for me as well. Itā€™s just a way of categorizing content for easier retrieval at a later time, which works great for research.

Yes, that is roughly the idea. For those with many tags, it might be nice to be able to search by (e.g. ) tag.

It would also be useful to search public/friends blurblogs by tag.

So uhh, Samuelā€¦ is that a ā€œnoā€?

for me it is very important that tags get their related RSS feeds. then i can collaborate with the others on filtering content. and thatā€™s what we are talking about here :wink:

Isnā€™t the idea of tagging posts only relevant with having a long retention time? I seem to remember reading that retention wasnā€™t horribly long for NewsBlur.

Iā€™ll be glad to pay (a service, donā€™t know which yet) for what @Ann and @LucyJones mention plus retention. Storage is cheap, so itā€™s an easy add-on for retention.

Best regards

any update on introducing tags to your service Samuel?

in http://blog.newsblur.com/post/5068928ā€¦ it says:
* Working on the next few big ticket features: saved story search and tagging, batch editing organizer, keyboard shortcut manager, and more.

i put my hope there :wink:

1 Like