How often are feeds parsing (updateing)?

Follow up post to https://getsatisfaction.com/newsblur/…

How often should feeds currently be updating? I’ve just looked through a random sampling, and see that several go an average of every 12 hours.

I first noticed the issue when I saw that I had need articles dated yesterday, which had been published before the last time I had browsed newsblur.

What is the default interval, and can it me modified by end users?

1 Like

Right click on the feed and choose Site Settings to see specific feed details. This can’t be modified by end users, however you can 'Insta-Fetch Stories" and trigger the feed parsing any time you wish to see if the source has issued new ones.

Which brings me back to my original question, how often are feed supposed to update?

The purpose of a newsreader is to tell me when new content is available, not wait for me to check it.

I have nearly 100 subscriptions. Don’t you think having to retrieve each one manually defeats the purpose of my premium subscription?

Right click on the feed and open Statistics. That will tell you both the expected times and actual times, along with graphs and some explanations.

1 Like

The system retrieves all subscriptions periodically, automatically. Each RSS feed has a particular periodicity to its retrieval which can be seen by opening Statistics relative to a specific feed, as Sam said above. No one said you have to retrieve each feed manually. You can ALSO parse a feed on demand, if you desire to, in between the cycling of the automatic retrieval, to see if there are updates.

I’m still rather confused by the cloudy answers to what I thought was a simple question.

My Question: How often do feeds automatically update ?

IN a previous thread at http://goo.gl/CJQKc1, Samuel Clay stated that “every feed held by a premium user is updated at the minimum of once an hour. Popular feeds more often, and if the feed has published less than an average of 1 story over the past month, then it gets updated just a few times a day”.

Clearly that is not the case.

Similar query at https://getsatisfaction.com/newsblur/…

This just confused me even more, as it confirms that some posts are scheduled to update as much as 9 hours apart.

Still no direct answer to my question. How often do feeds automatically update ?

You have had a direct answer: look at the statistics because every feed is different.

Some feeds will be very slow if they never have posts (<1 per month), use push, or have lots of errors.

If you want a more specific answer, tell us what feed you’re looking at.

That is not what Samuel has said in prior posts. What he has said is “every feed held by a premium user is updated at the minimum of once an hour. Popular feeds more often, and if the feed has published less than an average of 1 story over the past month, then it gets updated just a few times a day”.

Sounded like a good plan when he said it, and it’s partially what I based my premium purchase on.

That is what should happen.

If you give a link to an actual feed that’s not doing that you’ll get a better answer as to what’s going on.

I am also a premium user and have some feeds that do not update for 24+ hours. Can Sam confirm whether all feeds held by a premium user are updated at least every hour as promised? If they do not, then I think we have our answer…

Strangely enough, the feeds that were pulling every few days, such as the one imaged at the top of this post, are now being pulled at least twice a day.

It appears that the frequency has been changed, perhaps because if the attention drawn to the matter over the past few days?

I can be content to have a feed with sporadic content fetched twice daily, as appears to be the case now, but I can’t accept that a feed would be checked every three days as was the case recently, evidenced by my image above.

I would, as Adam suggested above, still like to hear from Samuel on the specifics of the fetching schedule. Without that feedback, we shall all have to assume that the policy is still “every feed held by a premium user is updated at the minimum of once an hour. Popular feeds more often, and if the feed has published less than an average of 1 story over the past month, then it gets updated just a few times a day”.

Premium users have been told that our investment goes towards paying for the back-end that is capable of pulling feeds frequently. I think we deserve to have that investment honored.

If you go to Statistics and it’s not at an optimal speed, there should be a message stating why (infrequent posts, feed throwing exceptions, etc).

So your previous commitment to check feeds with less than one post monthly “a few times a day” is no longer valid?

Keep in mind that some of us invested in you based on your prior commitment to check sporadic feeds at least “a few times a day”.

So your previous commitment to check feeds with less than one post monthly “a few times a day” is no longer valid?

It’s a direct, simply worded question. Yes? No?

By the way, any time a customer spends money with you they are investing in your company. It’s business 101.

I (as a currently non-premium user) subscribe to a feed from a blog that has only one subscriber. If I check the statistics, it tells me that it’s “Real-time / Supplemented by checks every 72 to 90 hours”. But it’s not real-time, or the real-time functionality isn’t working, because there was a post about two and a half hours ago that hasn’t appeared yet. Below that in the statistics, it says: “If you went premium, this site would update every 72 to 90 hours but it wouldn’t matter because this site is already in real-time”.

Could it be that if NewsBlur *thinks* a feed is real-time, it doesn’t increase the fetch frequency for premium users, even if the real-time functionality isn’t actually working?

Have you check the feed stats so Sam can investigate? What if the site only posts once every three days, what would be the point of hiiting the feed every hour? Maybe the site has restriction on how many times you can read the feed? NewsBlur can try to access feed every hour but the site owner can also control how often you can check. Post the stats so people can help solve the issue.

This is definitely NOT the case. I’m a premium subscriber and I have several feeds that get updated infrequently, even though it has new items regularly (a few per week up to a few per day). Statistics confirms this but doesn’t say why.

Example:
http://gdata.youtube.com/feeds/base/u…