Ghost unread items

it didn’t used to be the blurblogs, or it was but I didn’t notice. The main folders seem mostly correct now, but your blurblog is a consistent offender.

I still see it on non-blurblogs but have to admit that your blurblog has been doing this a lot lately. More often than any other feed.

Also, Roy’s keeps popping up – and several stories in his feed that I have already read keep becoming unread again…

Blurblogs for me, too!

I have seen it on a blurblog now and then, but it’s certainly not limited to them. Normal feeds suffer just as unpredictably.

I made this reply in another thread, but this is the longer one thread, so here it goes again.

Ohhh kay, this was a particularly nasty bug that took a bit of time to track down. I made what I hope is the fix. The problem is that it doesn’t manifest until 2 weeks after you read a story. So while I have finally fixed it tonight, I can’t verify that it’s fixed for a while.

The only problem is that I was unable to magically move all of the previously read stories back into a read state. So if you have one of the few unread read stories, just read it again and it should stay read, as well as any other story you read in a blurblog.

Whew, there’s a lot going on this week in terms of launches and prep for YC, so I’m glad that this was able to be fixed, because I noticed it aplenty on the brand new soon-to-be-released NewsBlur iPad app.

Just finished reading my blur blogs and nothing is stuck as unread – woohoo!

I had Ars Technica do it to me this morning, and the same behavior, hit next unread and it scrolls through the articles that had unread on them until it stops.

The difference here is I figured ‘meh’ and went back to working on the other screen, out of the corner of my eye I caught it ‘disappearing’.

It appears it cleared itself after the next refresh 60 seconds later I think it was. So if you quit mashing buttons and wait for the refresh it goes away.

This is happening worse than ever before for me. I have 42 “unread” items in Ars Technica, but “Next Unread” finds nothing and eventually switches to the next feed.

Just an update now that it’s been a few weeks: this is still happening for me, albeit slightly less than before. The manifestation is roughly the same as before: click on a feed and it keeps wildly loading stories until the beginning of time, presumably looking for the ghost one.

Got one just now. Account ‘supine’, Newsblur feed URL https://www.newsblur.com/site/2768/ch… shows 1 unread story but all stories are marked as read.

Update: and in the time it took me to write this the ghost unread story went away. Guess I just need more patience. :stuck_out_tongue:

This has gotten significantly worse over the past couple of days. I’ve got over a thousand ghost items across over sixty feeds at the moment.

Engadget, The Verge, Joystiq, a few others were all doing it. I just clicked over in the web client to get the list and they all reset :confused: hate it when that happens :wink:

Sam tweeted this a bit ago: “I have a permanent solution for the count wonkiness that’s been reemerging over the past few days. It’ll take all day to work though.”

https://twitter.com/NewsBlur/status/2…

I’m going to be implementing the permanent fix today, but it required me to change some code in a library I’m using when talking to mongo (the library is mongoengine), so I have to setup forked repos on all of my servers, then maintain the fork. Not ideal, but I’ve done it before.

I mentioned in another thread what changed. Sorry if you’re getting this twice:

OK folks, I made the big push and this bug should now be gone once and for all. If you find an unread count is wrong, it is now some sort of logic bug that I haven’t even seen before. The bug that was causing this issue was directly related to slave lag and now the slave db is no longer being used for counting unreads. Took a while but we now have a system in place that has no performance cost and works without the issues of replica lag.

1 Like

It’s happening again today, all day (since ~7am MST; it’s now 1400 MST). Only on one site, Android Police, which is fairly high traffic.

Some info that might help you troubleshoot, assuming I’m having the same problem:

I’m getting this as well for the Vulture feed (URL if I click on it is https://www.newsblur.com/site/1204/vu…). Sidebar says there’s an unread/yellow post but nothing if I click through. It’s included in the total count in the site title/sidebar header as well.

Refreshing the page in my browser didn’t work but instafetching the feed did - an unread item appeared. But it’s an item from yesterday that I’m 90% sure I’ve already seen and marked as read.

I saw this in Android Police yesterday as well…

i have had it happen on other sites, currently it’s happening on a link from fleshbot. I’ve found to clear it, i mark it read/unread and then it quits doing it on that one, works fine for a while, and then one gets stuck. Doesn’t matter if I read it on my iPad, iPhone or Safari browser, it stays stuck. But if in any client I do read/unread mark manually it goes away.