I’m new to NewsBlur, and really like its features but I just can’t used to its design. There are good parts, but still it needs some polishing.
I’ve found this userstyle: https://userstyles.org/styles/103856/… - and while there are some minor bugs in it, with my experience I say it is awesome. I suggest you make it as an option so more users can use it - because while it works with example Greasemonkey, I can say it is too well done, for letting it stay at a third party site.
Ok, I might consider a theme feature, but I don’t think positively of that flat design. I would want to change it. If I do, it’ll suffer the same fate as the default NewsBlur interface.
I’m sure there are plenty of edge cases that just aren’t taken into consideration, but I’d still have to support it. It’s a ton of work every time I make an interface change, as I’d have to constantly be checking yet another mode that I don’t use all the time. I have that issue now with the pane positions and story modes, and I’d like to avoid that. Not sure how to square that.
I would just like a dark/night theme and the ability to quickly switch to it and back.
This is odd: The site is much quicker and agile with the userscript enabled, at least on Firefox.
It has its reasons: it removes example text-shadows, gradients, uppercasing from everywhere which was calculated by the browser on the user side. Now they are removed. The more elements used these effects, the bigger the win.
Great work. You should go all the way and make it a userscript or addon so it can be configurable as well. There are a few things I’m not quite happy (new icons, dotted lines between panes, some fonts) with and if I’m not mistaken Stylish won’t do update for a style if I change it.
It is a work in progress, and I plan to update it further, but the best thing would be that if it would be implemented directly into NewsBlur, so not only it would update as soon as it is changed, but more people could use it without any knowledge of third party extensions and sites.
I’m liking the latest changes a bit better. Can you fix some of the spacing and centering on those share/train buttons?
I updated the userstyle - still here: https://userstyles.org/styles/104488/…
- splitters/resizers restyled
- vertical cursor indicator is visible again in articles
- “Shared by” part polished
- made the icons a little less “loud”
- realigned the share/train button contents
- fixed some colors in the footer
Don’t forget to always post a new screenshot on an updated style.
I think the upload/paste a custom CSS file might be a good solution. Maybe create the current theme as a template to use and customise.
Here is a new update to the userstyle: https://userstyles.org/styles/104488/…
- fixed tagging buttons at contents
- styled comment section headers
- fixed collapse, unread, text, icons allignments in the tree
- fixed resizer splitters for top and down view
- increased compatibility with custom text sizes
Story didn’t open in LIST view with TEXT fetching selected. It just becomes read and nothing else happend. Tested on Firefox under Ubuntu 14.04 and WinServer 2012 R2 Standart.
New update here: https://userstyles.org/styles/104488/…
Unfortunately I don’t have a premium account, but I tried my best to figure out River Of News and Text mode.
- removed Open Sans (not used anymore)
- many fixes for List view for Feed and Text mode (hopefully)
- date is only hidden in split view
- tweaked River of News view
Text mode works!
Thx and best of luck.
New update: https://userstyles.org/styles/104488/…
I was thinking about how I could highlight trained articles a little more, and finally I came up with a solution, tweaked it a little bit, and I really like the result?
What do you think?
- trained articles are now highlighted with color in the articles list
Good job on this. Looks great. Thanks for all the hard work.
100 downloads! Thank you! Let’s celebrate it with an update:
- more difference between read and unread articles
- more highlight for the selected article
- green highlight won’t show up at saved articles
Love the theme. But i was wondering, if you had any plans for the following:
- The color loading bar at the top of the list feed, when items are loading.
- The ability to use the selected font (such as whitney or helvetica) on the stories, rather than Arial as you’ve chosen for the overall theme. Arial is nice for all the other elements, but would be nice to keep your choice of font for the stories feed.
- Dark theme?
I played around with your code to make my preferred changes, such as displaying time stamps, tighter paragraph spacing, and smaller font size for the feed list. But I’m no code expert, so thanks for this theme. You’ve made some great design choices.
Thanks for the hard work.
I’m glad you like it, and sorry for the late answer.
Till now I have never seen a loading bar, things are fast here - could you give me a screenshot? Maybe I saw it, but didn’t realized that it is a loading bar.
I tried changing the style to respect the selected font, but I think this is something which can’t be handled on my side: it seems I have only two options, change everything or nothing.
Dark theme is already made by another user - https://userstyles.org/styles/86275/n… - which I suppose can be used the same way as mine until Samuel feels that it is time for adding custom made themes for NewsBlur.