Dark theme

Just letting everyone here know that the theme was just updated to fix compatibility with Firefox, and to add dark scrollbars for Webkit browsers.

Firefox apparently had problems because I think Stylish adds the custom CSS before loading the original one, so every single line needs to have a “!important” code, which I didn’t do at first because it’s really bad practice. I corrected that (against my will :P).

Scrollbars, as I mentioned, only work on Webkit browsers like Chrome, Safari and perhaps the new Opera, which I heard was switching to Webkit. There is no way whatsoever to do make that work on Firefox only with CSS, so that’s out of question. IE doesn’t have Stylish, and no one should be using it anyway :slight_smile:

1 Like

Samuel, would it be possible to simply query Userstyles.com for themes made for your domain (http://userstyles.org/styles/browse/n…), and when the user selects one, you get the CSS present there and loads it on the page? That would be like having a theme garden that is just hosted somewhere else.

Having just a custom CSS box would work as well, of course, but would be harder for users to maintain than just using Stylish.

Thank you very much!

I love the theme, thank you very much.

@DivinoAG, that’s a great idea.The Userstyles.org listing for newsblur.com is available as an RSS feed: http://userstyles.org/styles/browse/n…

As far as I can remember, Opera supports custom scrollbar colours in the same way as IE, via scrollbar-base-color and friends (this was actually added way back in IE 5.5). Not sure if this is still the case, but it definitely worked many years ago.

I heard Opera was retiring their own render engine to start using Google’s fork of Webkit instead, so I would assume Chrome’s code should work there as well.

They are switching, and alpha versions that use the new engine are out, but it’s not production-ready just yet. That and there’s going to be a lot of Opera users that sit on the current version rather than upgrading.

Works great and looks awesome. Thank you very much!

Pretty good, appreciated.
Pity about the scroll bars (in Firefox)
BTW The new Opera is complete. I’ve used it. Very similar to Chrome, more addons with Chrome.

The new Opera is still only a preview (Opera Next) release, the latest stable release is 12.15 which doesn’t have the new engine.

Another small update to the theme, this time to fix some messages displayed to new users that I completely forgot that existed. Thanks Samuel for helping me test the theme against new accounts.

doh! meant mobile - for power consumption. This galaxy s4 is a battery hog :slight_smile:

Hi DivinoAG,
Do you think you could update your theme? After a recent update, all feeds now have a white bar at the top.
Thanks!

I would love to see u working on this, too. Thank you very much, I’ll appreciate that highly.

One more vote for a Dark theme, please. I’m on a PC all day, so I prefer my websites dark, if I have a choice. My eyes will thank you!

Android for me, but same request. Dark theme on the app.

I’ve just decided to pull the trigger and go premium. The biggest feature that I’m lacking at the moment is the need to take longer pieces to Readability or a similar service in order to get something easier on the eyes. I’d be content with a CSS box because I’m capable of managing the CSS myself and might modify one of these dark themes for my own use in the meantime. Still, I’d much rather keep things in one place than be required to rewire everything should I change computers, etc.

A dark theme for Android is currently under development.

whoa, really? link please?