Dark theme

I created my own Stylish customization for Google Reader (http://userstyles.org/styles/55679/go…) because I prefer reading over darker backgrounds. I find much more comfortable without a page shining a bright light on my face all the time.

So my suggestion is a simple one: could you add an option for a dark theme for NewsBlur? It’s not a deal breaker, I mean I do know CSS so I’ll just make my own theme if you don’t add the option, but it’s much better to do that directly than having an plugin changing that all the time.

I’m quite impressed with the website so far, I’m just testing it a little longer before I pull the plunge and get the premium service. :slight_smile:

Cheers.

92 Likes

I think so, for now I can work out my own theme, like I said it’s not a big deal.

I imagine eventually people will start sharing some themes around, so just having a place to load our own custom CSS would be enough for the time being.

Thanks.

Just learning my ways around NewsBlur for the first time today, seems really promising but a dark theme option would definitely make it easier to look at for hours every day.

Oh sweet! A box to put in custom CSS code would be awesome!

1 Like

Any dark CSS blurbs for us less web inclined?

I confess that I kinda forgot about this, since I’m still waiting for Samuel to find some time to add the CSS box (no pressure, it is what it is).

But since you mentioned, I decided to go ahead and try to make a style for use with the Stylish plugin. It’s still a little rough around the edges, so as soon as I have something a little more consistent, I’ll post it on userstyles.org and share the link here. Let me know if there is more interest on something like that.

I’m creating it based on the Developer version of Newsblur, since that new visual will be implemented soon.

My fault… I got confused by the BlurBlog CSS box. Thanks for the reply.

If I like it enough, I’ll be tempted to push the custom css box through a little quicker. It’s not hard and I would like a good reason to add it.

Alright, I’ll see if I can work on that tomorrow, I already got a base ready, I just need to work styling some headers and other details. I’ll let you know when it’s ready.

would love a gist of this code.

Or a userstyles upload :wink:

I want this too… Going through thousands of posts a day really wears on the eyes…

Wow, looks great. I’d also really appreciate this.

Okay, here is the preliminar version. It should be mostly working, but there are some dialog boxes and other details I probably didn’t touch at all. Fell free to comment here or on UserStyles.org if anything is broken or if there is something really important missing.

Remember, this is for use on dev.newsblur.com. If you try this on the normal version, it will look broken.

http://userstyles.org/styles/86275/ne…

2 Likes

Oh, also important to point out: I’m using this on Chrome, and have yet to test it on Firefox, so let me know if there’s anything wrong there if you use it.

This looks fantastic, unfortunately unless I’m doing something wrong I installed Stylish and installed the theme in Firefox 20.0.1 and it doesn’t work at all. Still looks like the default Newsblur, and I double checked to make sure stylish is loaded and the theme is chosen,

When I edit the theme and hit the preview button it says:
231:5245 Error in parsing value for ‘text-shadow’. Declaration dropped.

Okay, I’ll take a look on Firefox later.

Looks great in Chrome 26.0.1410.65 on Mac.

Using this now, it looks so good and works really well. Good job!