Dark theme

Thanks man, this looks fantastic. Using it now! Looking forward to updates, thanks again.

Newsblur has been updated since you made this, and dev.newsblur.com isn’t in use. Could you possibly update this sometime so it works again? Thanks!

Well, it does work, I use it everyday. What I meant is that it was meant for use with the new visual style that, at that point, was only live on dev.newsblur.com. Since the update went live, the style now works correctly on the proper site, no need to change anything.

This is great, thanks for creating it!

DivinoAG, I have used your skin ever since I started using Newsblur, and I love it! Is it possible for you to change the color/ layout of the scrolling bars to look more like G-reader’s? The current ones are not so pleasant for the eyes.

Also, a member on this site helped me implement a few line of code to change the split view (when set to the left side) to be more optimal for skimming headlines:
}

span.story_date.NB-hidden-fade {
visibility: hidden!important;
position: absolute!important;
}

If you want to implement it in your final skin, be my guest, if not, could tell me where to place it in the code, for it to me most optimal? Right now, it’s just thrown in the middle.

Also, the dark blue color for links, is quite hard to read with the dark back ground. Just thought you should know :slight_smile:

Splike, glad the skin is working for you. Let me answer your questions:

1. Scrollbars: there are two techniques to do that, one only works on IE, another only works on Webkit (Chrome and Safari, I suppose also now on Opera but never tried it). I suppose I can add the code for those, I’ll let you know if it works. If you use Firefox you’re out of luck tho.

2. Short headlines: I personally wouldn’t use that, because it cuts out a great deal of the headlines, which to me is a dealbreaker. I added it to my code here just to give it a try, and it seems to work perfectly no matter where you add it, so what I would do in your case is to actually create a new style for the domain “newsblur.com” and split just your code to this style. This way if you need to update my skin, you can do it without losing your code or having to re-edit it in.

3. Where did you find dark blue links? All links for interface and content display as a light blue, as you can see on the screenshots I posted above. If you could post a screenshot of that I will try to fix it right away.

1. I use chrome, so it would be nice to have that added.

2. My main monitor is a 24" widescreen, so I have plenty of room to show most long topics.Great idea to make it separate. Here is is if anyone wants to use it:
    http://userstyles.org/styles/89095/ne…

3. It happened in a facebook feed, but I am unable to reproduce the dark blue links now. All my links are now normal light blue as they are supposed to be. I am not sure exactly what happened, but it’s all good now. I think deleting your style and redownloading it solved the problem, so it must have been some code I have accidentally deleted or maybe it was because I placed my code snippet in the wrong place (probably that).

What can also happen is that if you have a feed that has inline CSS code (Joystick.com comes to mind, with their credit box below each post), that text will change to whatever they set no matter what. So if the feed sets the color for something to a dark tone, it might get hard to read. The same is valid for the original skin, if a dark website has inline code to change text to bright colors.

The only way to correct that would be to override all CSS inside each feed item, but that would bring all kinds of other problems. It’s bad practice from the feed provider, so there’s little we can do about it.

I will just cross my fingers that I don’t stumble upon a site like that then. It sounds like the devil’s spawn :stuck_out_tongue:

Seems not to apply to the new non dev version,
pity
any chance of a rework

Would really like this!

It does work, I’m using it. What browser are you using?

Doesn’t work for me either in Firefox 21. Unless there’s some special steps to take when installing it…

Edit: actually, it does work a little (VERY little). The box in the lower right corner that allows you to select “oldest first, newest first, etc” is black when this style is active. That’s it.

Same for me, FF 21. Pleazzze, ur work’s just looking so damn good!

I agree. It looks great. I would love to use it. :slight_smile:

Using FF21, def doesn’t work

I think a better place for this would be a theme garden, but I haven’t heard enough interest in it to build it. But I could be convinced that a Custom CSS box, so you don’t need to load it as a user style, would be a useful feature.

2 Likes

What about a basic selection of a few themes on Newsblur? Not a fully-featured theme garden, just a dropdown list with a few stylesheets (hard-coded list). If a developer wants to add a new theme, they just need to fork the project and add their own theme to the list and CSS file to the codebase.

+1

Actually, strike that, it’ll be a nightmare to maintain. I’d better leave it to users to use the user styles theme garden. Now, I can link to it, but I don’t think I want the responsibility of maintaining it. In fact, I only support one theme and that’s the current theme. I’m amenable to a custom CSS box for ease, though.