Youtube-videos sometimes start automatically

Every now and then, some youtube-videos embedded in a post start to play as soon as I open Newsblur and load all new posts.
I click on “Everything”, all new items are loaded and I can hear the sound of some videos, even if there are 5 or 10 new posts who are displayed before the post with the video. Unfortunately, I didn’t see any pattern for when a video is auto-started and when it is not, but it is very irritating when you open Newsblur and hear the sound of some video(s).

3 Likes

Ack. There’s not much I can do about it, other than change how stories are loaded and displayed, Google Reader style, where you only see titles and have to expand the story.

Do you know the feed? I can take a look, but it’s most likely a setting that the story author is using.

Alternatively, you can use a browser extension that turns off auto playing flash videos. I use ClickToPlugin.

Thank you for your fast answer.
I had the problem for example with that post yesterday: http://wirres.net/article/articleview…
On the website and inside google reader, the post only contains the embedded video and a link to youtube. Inside Newsblur, it seems like the youtube link is loaded additionally as there are two videos displayed, see screenshot attached.
This only occurs in the “feed view”, maybe it is related to the design of the site. If you don’t find a solution, I’ll just use an extension for that, that’s no problem.
Anyway, Thank you very much for your help already.

Yeah, unfortunately, it’s because the blog author is both an image link AND an embedded iframe video. It doesn’t auto play for me because of my plugin: http://cl.ly/EVKu/Screen%20Shot%20201…

Ok, thank you very much for your assistance. I’ll try contacting the blog author and use an extension to block the auto play.
Again, thank you.

FYI - I’ve found that this happens most often with videos embedded from Comedy Central. (Daily Show, Colbert, etc.)

I’ve found that some youtube videos autoplay in newsblur, even though when I go to the actual post page the videos *do not* autoplay.

I had an autoplay issue that was connected with the Chromecast plug-in. If you’re using Chromecast, Google it and they’ll show you how to reset the plug-in… it fixed my problem.

Hope this helps!