Unread counts incorrect on dev.newsblur.com

The distinction of whether it counts correctly once you refresh the page is an important one.

If it does correct itself, that means it knew it wasn’t correct and corrected itself as soon as it could. The bug here is that it didn’t refresh on its own quickly enough. It updates itself when new stories come in and when you read stories. I made a change last week that allows that unread count to reflect stories that have come in since you started reading the feed. I think I’m going to move that back, since it makes the likelihood of there being new stories offsetting a count “incorrectly” is higher. Perhaps let you know that new stories have come in so you should refresh the feed would be best.

If it does not correct itself, then the problem, which I fixed last week, is that it thinks it is correct. There are no bugs left (that I know of) around forcing it to count itself and still coming up incorrect. But the more insidious bug is when it thinks it is correct but isn’t. (Again, forcing a recount at this point would correct it). This correctness can be referred to as the dirty bit. It’s actually ‘needs_unread_count’ in the database. Point is, this kind of bug should immediately be fixed and is more of a real bug than an interface improvement.

Yes, it did correct the count upon refresh. Will see how deep the problem is. I have many feeds, so if it continues to be a problem, I should see it fairly quickly.

An update - this incorrect count issue persists, although tab refresh resolves it.

After all of the bugs that I’ve fixed, I’m no longer sure what this looks like. Are these stories in feeds that you’ve read in blurblogs as well? The unread count being lazily updated after reading a site’s story in a blurblog is something I’m working on this week. Are the stories that are offsetting the count newer than 5 minutes? On your dashboard, in the “Welcome” module, do you see a small icon with a radar scanning back and forth? When you hover over it, there should be a tooltip that says “Real-time”. If it’s in red, it will say “Polling”.

No, these are not stories in blurblogs. These are my feeds.

As for the stories, I usually go top-to-bottom, across feeds (with N keyboard shortcut). So I read the first 4-5 stories of this feed when I realized the unread count went to 0 despite me seeing older stories unread. So I am not sure I can answer that question about stories being new in the past 5 minutes.

I don’t see a small radar icon in the Welcome module (dev.newsblur, FYI).

Bad:

Good:

I don’t have the red bar, so I guess I have the “good” picture.

What browser is this on? Those unread counts are largely maintained by the new real-time socket that you are connected to. I’m just wondering if this is Chrome or IE.

Oh … IE9. :stuck_out_tongue:

It looks like this is an old issue, but I started seeing this problem n dev.newsblur.com yesterday. I have changed the timezone sometime in the last 2-3 days. But I’m not sure f it’s related or not.