Temporary feeds

I suspect this is not worth the development effort, but I thought I’d mention it.

I’d love to have a way to mark a feed as temporary, such that it would be removed once idle for 30 days.

The rationale is for following discussions on blogs/forums where I want to keep an eye on any follow-up discussion, but I have no desire to waste NewsBlur resources for the rest of eternity polling a feed URL that will likely never be touched again (or possibly, cannot ever be updated again, for cases where old posts are locked).

For the moment, I’m just going to create a “temporary 2020” folder and nuke the contents manually whenever I think of it.

2 Likes

Good idea… I see what you mean. Maybe it can be done with some sort of expiration date/period.

Interesting feature and I love when it’s the first time I hear of an idea.

I have a spot to do it in, under Site Settings. So the UI is pretty straight-forward. Set an “Delete this feed in N days” and then it shows a date.

Anybody else want to see this? Let me know here.

3 Likes

It could be “disable after N days”, perhaps setting the feed to muted and perhaps adding some way to check all your expired feeds (put them in an “expired” folder?) That way you get a chance to review them. This would be better for disabled people like me who have intermittent memory problems — we can waste a lot of time looking for things that vanish!

3 Likes