This is a feature that was basically requested many years ago in this thread: https://getsatisfaction.com/newsblur/topics/send_to_newsblur_browser_plugin
So I know there are still people, like me, that want a bookmark manager feature in newsblur.
The question is then, what’s the best way of implementing this feature?
- Do we add links in NewsBlur like we add RSS URL’s?
- Should there be an extension to quickly add a bookmark to NewsBlur?
- Should Newsblur mirror the browser’s bookmarks?
The most simple would of course be the first. But the easiest to use would probably be the extension.
I, and many other people, currently use a Chrome extension called “NewsBlur Notifier”, that shows me a numbered badge of unread stories. Clicking the extension icon opens up NewsBlur in a new tab. I have completely turned off the badge function, because it’s always at “999” and I exclusively use it to quickly open a NewsBlur instance. I don’t want to part with this feature, but I also don’t want two extensions for the same service.
If Samuel was to create an extension for quickly bookmarking pages to NewsBlur, it would be ideal to also add an unread counter (one that can be turned off) as well as a quick link to open NewsBlur.
Clicking the extension on a page you want bookmarked, should show a drop-down window containing:
- The current URL
- A suggested title for the webpage in an editable box
- A folder scheme, so we can save it to a specific folder or create a new one
- A button to “Save” the webpage
- A button to just open a NewsBlur Instance.
When on a new tab page, clicking the extension should open NewsBlur directly, with nodrop-down window.