Strange CPU usage issue

I’m using Newsblur on Chromium 65.0.3325.181, running on LinuxMint 17.2 (64-bit). And recently, I’ve seen something pretty weird happening on occasion. I generally leave newsblur open in a tab all the time. Every once in a while, while I am away from the computer (in this case, I went to work and left my computer idle at home for about 8 hours), I’ll notice in my system monitoring that the CPU usage spikes. After about 8 hours idle, my system’s CPU usage shot up to 400% (ie., pegging 4 of the 8 cores) for about 2 hours. At the end of that time, my system logged an interrupt 3 debug trap from chrome, and the newsblur tab crashed. Everything behaved fine after a reload, but I’m a little bothered by the power and cooling issues associated with having my CPUs peg for a few hours for no reason when I’m not even home. Most other times I’ve had chrome’s CPU usage spike, there’s a clear culpret like a badly behaved article I’m trying to read, but since I wasn’t actually there at the time, it shouldn’t have loaded anything that wasn’t already displayed the last time I used it.

Hey, I haven’t deployed anything on the web for a while so it’s not something new. Usually when this happens it is due to browser extensions. Which extensions do you have installed?