Space bar *always* jumps to next story

I have mine set to 90%

90% here. Related to the space bar: In list view, the space bar is opening a story even when there are none open. It used to be that I could use the space bar to page through the list of stories; that is now broken with recent space bar changes.

40%

40%

30% here.

Just to be clear, the issue for most of us (I think) is not that it’s too easy to accidentally navigate to the next story with the space bar, but that you can navigate to then next story with the space bar at all. We want to use j/k to navigate between stories and space/shift-space to navigate within a story.

Like Chris who posted above, I often held down the space bar to scroll to the bottom of a long article which is now disastrous.

Please add a preference to turn it off.

1 Like

ditto - as Jesse states above, this is exactly the way I have always used the space bar and the “j” & “k” keys for navigation. Please allow this new behavior to be turned off.
Thanks!!!

1 Like

Ok, help me out here. I can just add a preference that turns off moving to the next unread story, but I believe there are a few features that people want:

• Move to the next unread when the bottom of the story is visible (default behavior)
  • Move to the next unread when the bottom of the story is past the mouse indicator line (the little red triangle on the left side of the feed view)
  • Only scroll the Feed view, don’t automatically move to the next unread story (old behavior, but I think this should at least be turned into something more along the lines of the above option or when the bottom of the story is above X% of the screen)
  • Open the next unread story if not story is selected.
    I think these are two separate features. I’m thinking a checkbox for the bottom option and a radio select for the top three. 

My preference would just be option 3 - restoring the old behavior.

I have the taco locked to the top of the window since I purely use the keyboard to navigate, so anything involving it would not be preferable for me. And I’m not 100% clear what the last option you mention would do. When isn’t a story selected?

Thanks for taking the time to work on this!

If you don’t have “Auto-select first unread story”, then when you load a feed/folder in Feed view in List/Split/Full/Grid mode, then no story is selected and hitting space bar would find the first unread story, akin to hitting ‘n’.

I see. I suppose that wouldn’t be a bad option as a checkbox.

Thanks again.

All I really care about is having the third option (the previous behavior). Thanks Samuel!

2 Likes

I’m thinking a checkbox for the bottom option and a radio select for the top three.

That sounds good to me!

I really just use the space bar for scrolling; it works in the same way as PageDown on other sites but I’d gotten used to it scrolling 40% of the way in NewsBlur. I’d appreciate an option to have the space bar as a scroll-only option; I like to be able to scroll down to see the next few articles in a feed before I decide on which ones I want to expand.

2 Likes

Agreed. With keyboard shortcuts, consistency of behavior trumps everything else. I always expect space to scroll (60% in my case) and I always hit “j” if I want to get to the top of the next story. Often, I scroll the page so that my eyes can focus on a smaller area near the top of the screen, I find it physically more comfortable.

The absolute worst thing is when space bar takes me out of a story I’m still reading and into a whole different folder. Then I have to “m” the newly-selected story, grab my mouse trackball, find “Read Stories”, and find the spot where I left off. (Does this have something to do with the “focus” being on the folders instead of the story pane? I’ve often mouse-selected a folder before going to the keyboard when this happens…)

1 Like

Beuller?

Pretty please add the option to disable new spacebar behavior as first mentioned three weeks ago?

1 Like

Thank you!!

thaaaaanks!

Thanks!