Right-to-Left Swipe Freezing Android App

I’ve been having an ongoing problem with the Android NewsBlur app on my Nexus 7. As I work my way through articles, swiping right-to-left, the app will occasionally freeze as the next article is nearly completely showing. There’s always a sliver of the previous article showing along the left when this happens. (See screenshot below.)

Sometimes a notification that the app has crashed will pop up momentarily. Sometimes it will be several minutes before that notification shows up.

Looks like I’m on 4.3.1b1 of the app, although I’ve had this problem through the past few updates. I’m on Android 5.1.1 on a Nexus 7.

1 Like

We’ve had an increasing number of reports of problems with the system web browser component on Android 5.1 lately.  Try going to the Play Store and see if you can update the “Android System WebView” app, or, if it is already up to date, uninstall any updates and re-install it.

Thanks! I’ll give that a try.

(I’ve uninstalled/reinstalled the app itself, but not that component.)

I also meant to note that I have not had a similar problem with my Samsung Galaxy S4, which is Android 5.0.1, and thus immune to any 5.1 issues.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the component.

While I haven’t had a chance to try it out long enough to tell for sure, the problem looks to be resolved.

Thanks!

Yikes, this seems to be a common issue. Anybody else experiencing this? I’d like to know if it passes the threshold for blogging about it.

It seems better than before, although I still had one freeze/crash while stress testing it.

I haven’t had any more freezing problems.

There was an update to “Android System WebView” this morning, which may have helped.

Thanks for the help and prompt attention!

Yes I have the same problem also on a Nexus 7

For what it’s worth. I’m still getting freezes, although not as frequently as before.

From the NewsBlur side of things, all we can really do is try and free up as much CPU and memory as possible in the app so that the web browser component can work through whatever hangups it gets from various content.  This is, happily enough, a current project for us:  https://github.com/samuelclay/NewsBlur/issues/723

1 Like

Just accidentally posted a dupe of this on beta 4.5.0b2: https://getsatisfaction.com/newsblur/…

Coincidentally Android System WebView updated to 45.2454.95 today and I still just had a crash.

Been happening for months. Continuing with 4.5.0b2.