"Red" stories no longer showing

I’m not a professional developer, but as a super power user and IT admin, I often find that features that get removed sometimes cause more of an uproar than new features do… so maybe removing features when you introduce something new, but still announcing why a feature is gone would definitely be appreciated. (Google typically makes a blog post when they retire Gmail labs/apps, and I’m always appreciative of those posts so I know the reasoning instead of just complaining “why did you take that away!”) :slight_smile:

1 Like

I see that you made the whole bar with the number of feeds and sites to display “Dashboard” when hovered. One small observation: it looks a little weird with the text centered… I nearly missed it; I was expecting it to the left, like before. Do you think you can put the “dashboard” text to the left again?

Like all design changes, it will just take a bit of time to get used to. And it won’t take long, I assure you. :slight_smile:

Yeah, we updated the red/yellow/green paradigm to better reflect what people were using it for. Instead, it’s now all/unread/focus, which I think makes it a lot more obvious as to what those controls do. In the future, I plan to blog about changes like that. Thanks for your suggestion!

1 Like

As a new user, joined last week, I am very disappointed to learn the the red, yellow, green “learning” is working as designed. When I first saw the “learning” feature I thought “Great, I can prioritize the order that I read articles.” Some days I just won’t get to the red ones and I’ll delete them. Some days I’ll go through them.

Since I want control over whether or not I read articles I’ll be taking all of the red “training” off.

Still like the site, just not as much.

Carl

I was quite surprised to discover that training the filter to dislike something would actually hide it by default. I think the intelligence trainer wizard thingy (which is the first introduction new users get to the filters) still describes the old system, which is probably why the new behaviour seems so confusing to us newbies :wink: It’s certainly a useful feature once you understand how it works, though.

So how does the feature work? How it was working was not what I wanted but I’m always open to learning new methods.

Well, I’ve been reserving the red filters for specific posts that I know I never want to read. For example the “Advertiser” posts on Boing Boing.

Hi, I was using red for low priority stories I didn’t want to see on a daily basis but did want to be able to check occasionally. I am sad about the change - any chance of allowing “view red stories” as an opt-in in our preferences?

If not, could you please remove all my red classifiers so I don’t need to retrain everything? I’m projectswatch.

Thanks.

The problem I have with this solution is that I have no idea of how to find red items except clicking each and every single feed, which is… inconvenient… when someone has, as I do, almost 400 feeds listed.

I liked the original concept because it allowed me to set 3 levels of “interest” for every feed: items I really don’t want to miss, items I’m probably interested, and stuff I usually don’t care about. I don’t appreciate the assumption that I *never* want to read items marked in red; I wouldn’t be following that feed if I didn’t have at least some interest on what they post.

I also don’t like making some stuff nearly impossible to find (which is how it currently is), while still having the number of these items always being displayed at all times.

When set to Focus mode, feeds only display the number of green items. When in Unread mode, you see the number of both yellow and green unread items. Why can’t the system display the number of red unread items when on All mode, which is how it used to work before this change? What’s the benefit of hiding this information from users?

6 Likes