Read folders could disappear?

Perhaps I’ve been trained a bit too much by the previous market leader, but I’d love it if folders could be hidden when they’re empty of unread items. Just a though! Love it.

13 Likes

Are you using the “Hide feeds with no unreads” option? (You can turn it on under Prefs or by clicking the site count at the top left of the page.)

If so, then the folder is there so you can see that it’s empty.

As an advanced option, you can easily write a jQuery selector to hide folders with no :visible descendent .feed’s.

I think this would be a great addition as well - especially for the iOS app where screen space is limited. I have somewhere in the ballpark of 20-30 folders (I probably need to clean up some) and would really prefer to see only those with unread feeds. I could write a userscript to hide those folders, but would rather see it as an option in the app.

Loving the app so far, thanks for the work!

1 Like

It’s an unnecessary complication that I don’t want to introduce. I kind of wished there was an advanced preferences dialog where you could set the real nitty gritty, but this is just a design decision.

Anecdotally, I have about 12 folders and I love seeing that they are empty (when they are, in fact, empty). It’s a 20 pixel reminder that you have nothing to read in that folder.

1 Like

I think this would be a great feature too! I have 20 folders, and if the empty ones would disappear, I would never have to scroll on the left pane (i.e. I could instantly sum up my unread feeds without needing to interact with that pane)

20 folders seems to be the exception, but I hear you. We’re trying out hiding folders with no unread stories on the coming iPad app (and updated iPhone app). If it works there, I’ll bring it back to the web.

1 Like

That sounds great! I just signed up for a Premium Account yesterday and I’ve been loving it so far! I’ve been trying to get my old Google Reader sharing friends back together.

I strongly second that! Who needs to see folders holding nothing. Writing code isn’t really an option for 99% :slight_smile:

1 Like

You got it. Just deployed. Now test away, because there is bound to be some condition where it doesn’t work. But it’s looking good.