Problem with Intelligence Training and Story Titles

I jsut tried it. In Chrome, I went into the story trainer and put as red “can’t install”. Showed up in the site trainer. Did the same thing in Firefox (at work, it is 17) with a different term. Didn’t show up in the site trainer. This may be Firefox specific. Haven’t tried IE.

Update. Tried IE, which behaves like Firefox (i.e., titles don’t move from story training into the site training).

Just wanted to add another voice to discussion - I’m seeing this as well. There are a few feeds where I have dozens of training entries - sometimes the training will stick the first time and sometimes it keeps refusing to stick.

Completely uneducated guesses (that will maybe cause something to click in your brain):
I’ve hit the max number of training items for a feed?
You’re hashing training items and getting collisions?
Something on the backend is rejecting the new training items as invalid or duplicate? Maybe there are error logs?

Wow. Curiouser and curiouser…

Now I find I am able to train titles as green (thumbs up) and have them stick – which wasn’t working when you asked originally – but trying as red doesn’t stick.

If I then go into the training data for the site, I can change it there from green to red and it sticks…so at least I have a work-around.

Did you try training a title as red in my account and have it work (get saved to the site’s training data)?

I dislike Chrome, but I’ll give it a shot.

Note: In contrast to Bill, I’m not seeing green work in the story trainer. In Firefox, I can’t get story-trained titles to move into the site-trained area.

OK…Chrome indeed works to train titles as red for me, unlike Firefox or IE.

It wasn’t working earlier for me, either. Don’t know what might have caused it to start!

I tried out my problematic training items within Chrome, and got the expected behavior. Seems to be a browser compatibility issue.

Has there been any progress on figuring out why this doesn’t work correctly in Firefox or IE? (not that I care about IE)

I’m noticing this as well. Firefox user. Trying to train on story titles just plain doesn’t work.

Right now, I’m tired of hearing about Edward Snowden. So each time his name shows up I pick intelligence trainer on that item, select Snowden and thumbs-down it. And he keeps coming back.

screenshot after training in firefox

The screenshot shows the red dot and Snowden in red, and the Firebug console showing the request that claims to have saved it. But if I reload that feed that item comes back with a grey dot and Snowden is no longer colored red. Comparing it to an equivalent from chrome:

screenshot after training in chrome

Chrome is posting “dislike_title” while Firefox is posting “remove_like_title”. Chrome’s training has now stuck.

Holy cow, FF is sending “remove_like_title”? That’s removing an active classifier. You want a dislike_title. The opposite would be remove_dislike_title. So FF thinks it’s already trained. Too bad I’m not able to reproduce it. It’s sending just fine for me. What version of FF are you on? I have 22.

1. And I did this in a completely blank/fresh profile, so it’s not any extension causing this.

I’m a software developer and happy to deep dive with you. Reach out via the email on my newsblur account (arantius).

Good news! This is now fixed. Thanks for identifying that it was sending remove_like_title instead of dislike_title. That led me to think it was a checkbox that was not being read correctly, which was the case due to the jQuery 2.0 upgrade from a couple weeks ago, which is also when this problem popped up.

Sorry about the wait, but I’m glad this is now fixed.

1 Like

Thanks, Samuel – and Anthony for helping Samuel get to the bottom of this.

Fixed for me as well. Thanks. Now if I can just figure out why Mental Floss articles seem to come in being marked as “read”… oh well, perhaps I’ll raise that in another chain :slight_smile: