Odd CPU and RAM usage.

I’ll preface this by saying I have a tendency to leave my browser and thus pinned Newsblur tab running for days, this happens after ‘a while’, not quite nailed down a pattern yet.

Several times time I’ve sat down at my computer, be it at home or at work, and noticed my browser using large amounts of RAM and CPU. Vivaldi (chromium) at home and Firefox at work.

I’d guess some scrip running wild? But not quite sure how you diagnose something like this. Grabbed some screenshots from work computer this morning.

1 Like

This is still a thing…
I like to leave my browser open, no other tab I have ever decide it needs hundreds of megabytes of ram and 25% cpu while idle in the background. It’s not very frequent but it is annoying none the less.

Happens to me in Safari too - frustrating and not particularly reproducible, but I’ll sometimes notice my fans spin up and check activity monitor and see Newsblur at the top of the CPU usage graph.

Yup I noticed this too, I also leave my browser on for days or even weeks and Newsblur is one of the sites I have pinned, and I noticed that for some time now Newsblur will come to a crawl, actually the whole browser can suffer. A few times I even have Chrome showing a “Oh snap!, something happened” And showing that Newsblur crashed. Since it is pinned I can’t really close the tab, but Browsing to for example Google.com and then back will fix this fort some time but this can even sometime be difficult as the whole browser is coming to a crawl.

Google Chrome Version 56.0.2924.87 (64-bit)
Linux Mint 17
CPU: Quad Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
RAM: 16GB