Newsblur-opened tabs in Chrome pegging CPU at 100% (Mac and Windows)

In Chrome (Mac and Windows both), I’ve recently noticed a performance/stability oddity that seems new to Newsblur. As I go through feeds (in Feed view) and want to read something, I hit ‘V’ to open it in a new background tab.

Recently, when I do that and get to the last item in the feed/folder, Newsblur will hang. The whole tab becomes unresponsive. When I click over to the newly-opened tabs, the URL bar has the correct address but the page is blank.

When I open Chrome’s “Task Manager” and sort by CPU usage, I can see that the first newly-opened tab is taking 100% CPU and the other tabs opened by Newsblur don’t show any CPU usage at all.

If I then close the Newsblur tab (and it takes a few seconds to respond) and wait 20-30 seconds, then all tabs will quickly get their own CPU values (very low numbers, then 0%) and the first tab that was at 100% returns to ‘normal’ (at or near 0% as well). In other words, after half a minute or so, all returns to normal… I can then open a new tab, go to Newsblur, and continue reading (until the process repeats).

This seems like a new behavior to Newsblur… though I saw it with another reader (Feedbin) quite a while back when I was testing Google Reader replacements. I reported it then and it was a quick fix… but I only remember it had something to do with the way he was catching the URL click to open in a new tab ("_blank" maybe?).

JD

3 Likes