Newsblur is down (12:06 PST)

Unable to read any Feeds. (Thursday Feb 11 at 12:06 PM)

1 Like

I have two independent uptime monitors that will both text and email me whenever there’s trouble. I know about as quickly as you can get. On top of that, I also have multiple server monitors that check for elevated error rates, server-level issues, and network latency.

In other words, you don’t need to post a support request and tweet at two of my accounts to let me know if NewsBlur is down. And in this case, NewsBlur wasn’t even down. You experienced a blip that is caused by app servers failing over. It lasts a couple seconds and only effects a single user at a time (the unlucky user who hits the server when it lags). 

Thanks for the explanation. I’m sorry to have bothered you. Just to be complete, however, the same issue is occurring now and lasts far longer than a couple of seconds (I would never have reported it lasted less than 5-10 minutes, which I why I wrongly assumed it was down. Again, I apologize for having bothered you with this.

Looks like you were absolutely right. Two of my app servers were experiencing high latency, resulting in a number of error calls. I might have to figure out how to automatically disable app servers that are performing this poorly. I do have access to HAProxy’s stats and it knows which app servers are way over a latency threshold. I should build that soon.