Need more keyboard shortcuts!

It’s under ‘o’. It should open in ‘_blank’, which is either a new window or a new tab depending on your browser setup. If it’s the wrong one, you can easily switch it in FF/Chrome/Safari.

Also, you can hit ‘enter’ to temporarily open the story in the Story view. As soon as you switch to a new story, the view will switch back.

That’s great. Thank you.

On a slightly unrelated topic:
Pressing the “r” key sends me to everything, as does “E”, is that a bug? I’d expect “r” to refresh my current view.

If you’re ever wondering what keys do what, you can either hit ‘?’ or check out the code directly: https://github.com/samuelclay/NewsBlu…. It’s pretty readable.

As for ‘r’, yeah, it’s supposed to do that. Not sure why, but that’s the way it is. I’d be glad to reassign it. What exactly does “refresh the current view” mean? Insta-fetch new stories?

Insta-fetching new stories sounds right to me. I believe refreshing, i.e. Insta-fetching, makes more sense on ‘r’, especially since we have ‘E’. So if you’d reassign it, that would be great.

I’d really like to be able to select a feed in the sidebar with a keyboard shortcut.

I’ve recently started using Vimperator for vim-like shortcuts in Firefox. It’s great. One of the features it has is a “hints” mode. Simplified: you hit a key, which causes a number to appear next to every link viewable on the page. Typing the number of the desired link then causes the link to be activated. For whatever reason, this doesn’t work well in Newsblur, but I think it would be great if Newsblur could implement its own version. Perhaps a shortcut like “l” (for list) would cause every feed viewable in the sidebar to be assigned a number, and then hitting the number would go to the feed.

This is absolutely on the list. I’m about to ship social, and the redis (fast river & oldest first) branch is nearly done and will ship a week afterwards. And that leaves server fires and keyboard shortcuts on the big list.

I just noticed that I can close the story title pane and the keyboard shortcuts for next/next-unread work! AWESOME!!! I can’t thank you enough for this!

Yes, this was part of the Backbone rewrite. I knew there was a big feature that multiple people had requested that would be fixed in Backbone, I just couldn’t remember what it was.

Now that the keyboard shortcuts work on the feed list when the story title pane is closed, can we have a keyboard shortcut for toggling the story list pane? Pleaaase :D?

Sure, what key?

How about Shift+t (for toggle titles pane)?

You got it. (29 days later, which means I’m slowly getting through my enormous backlog.) Shift+t opens/closes the story titles pane.

This is great, thanks.

2 small problems tho’:

1. please add this shortcut to the list of keyboard shortcuts help dialog
  2. when I return from the hidden state of the titles pane, the active story is not focused and highlighted in the pane. If I scroll around in the view, the title pane synchronizes, but it would be nice for it to synchronize when I return from the hidden state. This happens when I use both the keyboard and the mouse cursor to toggle the state of the story titles pane.

Both are now in. Thanks for the idea.

Thanks. Navigating with the keyboard works, but when using the mouse it doesn’t position the active story title in viewing range.

When you re-open the story titles pane, it scrolls to the currently selected story.

Yes, it does that when using the keyboard shortcut. But when clicking with the mouse, the active story doesn’t show in the titles pane.

To reproduce:

1. open a feed
  2. hide the titles
  3. scroll down a couple dozen of stories
  4. with the mouse: unhide the titles pane
  5. notice how the active story doesn’t show up in the titles and it’s not focused

And done. The fix for this one involved upgraded to the latest layout library, so please be on the look out for weird unexplainable layout bugs. (The layout library is responsible for the panes, resizers, and togglers)