Missing pages when lots of them are unread/refresh required

I just tried to catch up on el goonish shive: El Goonish Shive
I read about 20ish pages, things felt weird/like something was missing.
It did feel like they were in the right order (not going backwards) but it felt like things got skipped.

After I ran out of new items (“J” to go down), I had to refresh (shift up, shift down) and then I saw a bunch of pages that were basically skipped previously.

I’m not sure which pages I read earlier, but these are what’s left

Maybe this is related to premium archive tier?
I’ve seen a lot of times where on the left it says I have X unread, but the scrolling menu has significantly less than X (and when I’ve marked them all read, if I refresh I get more)

I also get this almost on the daily, if there’s above a certain number of posts, not all of them will appear. I’ll read some, refresh and then some of the missing ones appear, and it’ll be out of order. This might have to repeat a few times to get to see all of them. I imagine that’s super frustrating with something that’s meant to be serial

This is a breaking the basic reason I upgraded to Premium Archive :frowning:
It’s tough to really solve myself cause I think it takes > 2 weeks (usually a lot longer) to collect anything with that many items. and then I’ll forget.

This is especially bad when I have many posts in a single item, like on an active tumblr feed.
For example Knit Me A Pony: Status Message Here

Ok this was bad when it was tumblr feeds.
But it’s Abysmal when it’s a comic feed (where the story happens in order).

Reading the comic seems strange, cause it feels like timeskips, until I refresh the page and see that newsblur didn’t show me everything. That would be ok if it showed the right items based on sort (oldest, unread… if it showed the 30 oldest unread that’d be ok… then I refresh I’d see more)…
but it’s random ones that are missing, or sometimes 10-15 consecutive ones left out that really mess with stories.

Being able to collect a bunch of unread stories is why I wanted premium archive. If it can’t show me things in order there’s no point.

This is frankly extremely making this extremely annoying.
At this point I can’t trust newsblur except (maybe?) to remember the last thing I read. And then manually go to the other website, and then manually go back to mark things manually.
I was very careful, reading unread stories in EGS:NP, making sure I wasn’t skipping any, and then I must have stopped paying attention, and then of course there were 7 left unread that weren’t showing up. Refreshing shows THESE so you can see that they were skipped/out of order.

Would love at least a response… if this is never going to be fixed I’ll cancel my subscription and go elsewhere. I like saving up months worth of comics and then binging them, but this just confuses me and makes me annoyed.
I’m fine if it doesn’t show all the comics in a single search and I have to refresh… so long as it’s doing it in the right order. e.g. if I’m doing “oldest unread first”, and it shows me 20/100 but it’s the first 20 unread out of 100, great… then I don’t miss any comics or read them out of order

Try loading in Newest First order and see if you can scroll to the end. I have a feeling there’s an issue with Oldest First and marking stories as read, since that is changing the cursor in the unread story list. It’s a long-standing issue, but you should still be able to scroll to the end.

If you want to read Oldest First, couple it with All Stories instead of Unread Only.

There are 700 stories in the archive, so you should be able to see all of them, even using Oldest First. We don’t have the complete archive, but we do have everything going back to December 2018.

Screenshot 2023-12-18 at 2.51.06 PM

It’s not that they’re marked read incorrectly, it’s that it skips things/doesn’t show all the unread items.

The screenshot was after reading a bunch and marking them all read, and then realizing there were 7ish left… and they were in the middle/random in the list of what I read the first time (as opposed to “newer” than anything I read.

e.g.
I have pages 1, 2, 3, …, 10 unread.
I load it oldest-first unread-only…
and pages 1,2,5,6,8,10 are in the list.
If I mark them all read and refresh, it’ll finally show 3,4,7,9 (which weren’t in the list in the first place).

Are you saying this ^^^ bug should disappear if I do newest first?

This is NOT the only site this happens to

This seems to work but is obviously inconvenient. (Can’t be sure as I only notice the bug every few months)
Thanks for the temporary workarounds. Hope you can fix it though.