iPhone App: Add more gestures

How about adding gestures for general navigation to the iPhone app like in Flipboard, i.e. flicking up and down for previous/next item and flicking left/right to switch view or moving up the navigation hierarchy?

Another idea could be to add a slide left/right gesture for individual items in the news list to allow for actions like saving for later or sending to Instapaper like in Reeder.

4 Likes

I’d love to be able to swipe between stories, and in fact, I had a branch that had some of this built in. The problem is that the NewsBlur iPhone app was my first foray into Objective C and Cocoa Touch. I’m not even sure I’d be able to make it happen today. It’s not easy. If there were some way of making it happen, I’d do it in a heartbeat.

Swipe actions are something I’m looking into. I’m not quite sure what I want the swipes to do, but I think mark read/unread on one side and saved/unsaved on the other will be it. Not sure if this is what Reader does, but I think it would be great. b

No problem, it’ s great to hear you’re looking into it.
About the swipe gestures:
In Reeder it works basically like that, only it allows you to customize the action for the swipe, so a swipe to the right could be saved/unsaved or send to Instapaper etc.