Intermittent CPU maxing

Hi,

Unfortunately don’t have a lot of details for this one.

I’ve spent the last hour or so reorganising my feeds into folders. While organising the feeds I’d often view the feed, move it to a folder, and move onto the next one (perhaps before the feed had even fully loaded?).

During this time I’ve had at least 8 unresponsive processes (latest Chrome) due to what appears to be maxed CPU.

Most of these could be stopped when the end process window finally showed (taskmgr wouldn’t load in a usable fashion), but a couple required actual reboots as the end process was insufficient (perhaps because Chrome spawns so many processes).

Just putting this as an FYI because it was quite frustrating.

Cheers.
Matt

4 Likes

It seems to be more likely if I click the down arrow for a feed while images/content is still loading in the feed viewer (for instance with media heavy feeds).

So, before I attempt to figure out what’s going on, did you know that you can move sites into folders without having to open them? You can either drag-and-drop them into the folder, or right-click on them and choose the “Move to Folder” option. It should be pretty easy.

As for the unresponsiveness – it has to do with how much media is being loaded. Google Reader gets around this by only loading a single story at a time, which means it feels a lot faster. NewsBlur loads all of the stories it can, but then you’re able to just scroll right through. I may consider an alternative implementation that more closely aligns with how Reader does, by only showing a single story at a time (for some feeds). What do you think of that idea?

Yep the drag is a very cool feature, but I had to load some feeds to remember what they were about.

I think I like it the way it is currently, and it probably wouldn’t have made a huge difference in this case (it seemed to be most common with feeds where the most recent story was a video or offsite images).

I think upon reflection this is ultimately a browser issue (using JS interactive features while content is loading causes the browser to crash with 100% CPU usage) and doesn’t really belong as a NewsBlur issue (Chrome should handle this more gracefully).

Thanks,
Matt

Just pushed out a fix (last night, actually) that hopefully fixes this issue. It turns out there was a Chrome-specific jQuery bug in 1.6.1 that was resolved in the latest 1.7.1 release. Let me know if everything works smoothly now.

1 Like

Thanks as always for the awesome support