How about a "Save to NewsBlur" bookmarklet?

It would be cool if NewsBlur made it easy to save arbitrary articles in NewsBlur. It could, at least to some degree, replace other services like Pinboard or Instapaper.

1 Like

In recent days this has been on my mind. I’m letting my Pinboard account renewal lapse.

It would be nice to have Newsblur be a single point of reading by having a read-it-later function added, but specifically for sites you might not be following. It could be kept simple with just the link and the headline. No need for photos, or importing the text of the article.

Heh, this is an older thread but this launched almost exactly a year ago. Here’s the blog post:

Specifically this line in the blog post:

A few other small changes have been added to this feature. You can also save stories and tag them from any website using the bookmarklet (which you can install under Manage > Goodies > Bookmarklet).

1 Like

Hoho! Fantastic! Can’t believe I missed that the many times I’ve dug through the dashboard. Thanks @samuelclay

Any consideration for a feature within the mobile apps, @samuelclay ? A way to have Newsblur appear in the share sheets, similar to Pocket.

I agree, we right now only having a public sharing extension. So you can save stories to NewsBlur from other iOS apps, but only on your blurblog. If you’re OK with that, it’s ready to go on your phone.

For saving stories privately, I’ve added this ticket:

Ah :disappointed: :sweat_smile: I guess this is where I add my voice/vote to that feature making it to Android at some point.

We already had a ticket open for it, but I closed it and renew with this one:

1 Like

It is possible to implement this as Extensions for the browser?

We’ve thought about a browser extension but I decided a bookmarklet was a better option. Thinking back on it now, an extension would be better but would also require a fair bit of dev work, so I’m punting on it for now until a browser extension has a feature that would be better than the bookmarklet.

Thank you!

The main problem with a bookmarklet is that it can be blocked by a tight Content Security Policy of a website. This wouldn’t happen with an extension.

1 Like