Full Screen Mode

“Full screen” mode. Back on Google reader I always used the full screen mode to read my articles. Because I use keyboard shortcuts to navigate articles, seeing the list of articles as well as the folder list is just a waste of screen space. If you hit ‘f’ in Google reader the entire browser window just becomes the articles. I would love to see that option added to NewsBlur. For clarification I’m not talking about ‘F11’ full screen. I’m talking about the reader taking up all of the browser window.

3 Likes

This is possible now, I use it fairly often on my smaller laptop screen, but it’s a 2-step process instead of one hotkey.

Shift + U hides the feeds/folders sidebar (same hotkey as Reader, I think?)
Shift + T hides the story titles pane

Is that what you had in mind?

2 Likes

That’s the stuff!! Awesome. They should just change a keyboard shortcut ‘f’ to do both of those things. Thank you so much DMack!

1 Like

I like the idea of a combined shortcut to hide/show both panes.

Mostly because I contantly hide one or the other accidentally and can’t remember the shortcuts to bring them back! I could remember “F”, though. :slight_smile:

One thing about full screen mode is that whiel it does hide the panes it doesn’t actually resize the story to take the entire screen

“Shift + T hides the story titles pane”

This no longer seems to be true. How do I hide these now?

This “fullscreen mode” is not really. Even when you hide the sidebar, you are still left with ~100px wasted vertical space in the “story-titles-header” and the “story_taskbar” (going by their markup names).

It seems there may once have been an option to hide one or both of these, but not right now.

I don’t even think my screen is tiny, it’s a 1280x800 laptop, but every millimeter counts.

There’s now a 3-way option of Full/Split/List (bottom right corner) whereas there just used to be 2. Click on Full if you want to hide the titles pane.

I’m not so sure that’s a bad thing. Full screen mode is great, but it needs to show your context (the top bar, which has the feed/folder title and controls), and the ability to change which view you see (the bottom bar). It’s not very big yet it’s quite powerful.