Feed view setting 'Show a single story at a time' seems broken

Feed view setting ‘Show a single story at a time’ does not work when I visit a site.
For example, when I visit feed of http://dilbert.com, it shows me all the stories inside feed view, although as per my preferences only single story should be shown.

I observed that if I switch to Story view and then back to feed view, it starts showing me single story at a time.
But this is happens only when I switch to Story view. “Original View”, on the other hand, does not affect the Feed View at all. If I switch back from Feed to Original and then back to feed, NewsBlur keeps showing me all the stories, instead of single story.

2 Likes

That’s intentional. Otherwise you’d see a blank screen before you select a story. When you switch to the Story view, since I can’t show you all of the stories like I can in the Feed view, I just force the first story to be selected. Then when you return to the Feed view, a single story is shown because it’s selected.

If you select a story in the Feed view, you’ll see the only a single story is shown at once. I could’ve changed the Feed view to instead automatically open the first story, but I don’t like the idea of forcing you to read a story just by opening a feed.

Thanks for your quick response.

I could’ve changed the Feed view to instead automatically open the first story, but I don’t like the idea of forcing you to read a story just by opening a feed.

You see, you are not forcing me to read the first story when I open a feed. Good thinking! But then you are forcing me to move to story view and then back to feed view so that I can get my desired ‘Show a single story at a time’ to work. This requires three clicks at least.

If you would just “force” me to see the first story in the feed view, I would have to select my desired story from the story titles pan to get my desired story. This would require only single click. I can even click on “Next unread” to move to my story in the feed view.

Also, if I have changed the default to ‘Show a single story at a time’ then I would know what I am doing and why I want it, otherwise I would not have bothered to play with preferences at all.
Now if it does not work as I intended then it would only make me confuse. You succeeded in not forcing me to view first story in the feed but along with it you made my desired option convoluted. “You are making me think.” :frowning:

The way you decided to pre-select first story in Story view. You can do the same in the feed view.
Or when the user selects “Show a single story option” he can be presented with two sub options:
Show

1. First story in the list

2. First unread story in the list

Well, all in all your app rocks. I am truly impressed. You beat Google Reader which is not a small feat at all.
All I wrote above is mere positive criticism. Wish you best of luck.

Hmm, I think we just stumbled on a particularly fantastic idea. How about this option:

When opening a feed:
( ) Open newest unread story
( ) Open oldest unread story
(*) Show all stories

* = default, and current behavior. This would be trivial to implement. The first option effectively hits ‘n’ when you open a feed, and the second option hits ‘m’.

1 Like

You are right. These three options are even better. Not only for “Show single story” view setting but for default feed view too.
It would super helpful if you implement them.