Feed cut off after 100 entries

That screen shot is showing folders which is slightly different

There’s a picture of a single feed with 1k+. I can browser through that feed for quite some time before the plus gets dropped and it starts counting down. Only the display gets capped at 1000.

1 Like

As far as I’m aware, there is a 1000 entries limit for the number of entries that (or whose status) can be retrieved by a client in a single request. Maybe Sam mixed that up. (I’ve never worked with the API myself, though, and only skimmed through the Lightread sources to find some (perceived) bugs, so I’m hazy on the details.)

Welcome to the club.

Samuel, it’d be useful – at least – to have this limit shown on feed’s statistics page (“This feed is limited to X stories”).
That shouldn’t be that hard, IMHO. Feed.trim_feed() needs to return trim_cutoff, which is then saved and shown in /rss_feeds/statistics. Still better than nothing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Too add to the reasons why this is a horrible design choice. It totally screws up personalized feeds. Examples would be feeds that have a hash in them because they were paid for (eg: ars technica), or feeds that are specific in some other way (eg: flickr friends feed, yahoo pipes feed etc)

1 Like

Thats a serious bummer. I subscribe to a feed that generates about 50 entries per hour…

1 Like

sry but this is shit. i bought newsblur to replace google reader but it wasnt a good idea. digg reader im coming

2 Likes

Hm, makes me concerned. What happens if one does not read some feed for a while (let say went away from internets for vacation)?

the things you couldn’t get to are gone

So now I found why my starred items are always getting reduced. This limit sucks. Any plans to remove it, or can somebody recommend a reader without such limitation?
What for did I pay actually?

2 Likes

There have been so many problems as of late. I understand you are under a heavy load, but the fact of the matter is there are numerous, real problems: the 30 day limit, things not being marked as read, phantom unreads, the 100 post limit, things not sharing properly to blogs, etc. etc. Hoping that this will either get fixed or that those of us who paid will get some compensation for the problems?

2 Likes

This is not only about unread items, these stories are *completely* deleted from the feed. Google Reader never did that.

I’ve been pretty happy with feedly. I’ve actually stopped using newsblur because of this and the 14(now 30) day limit on read states.

Feedly has the same 30 day limit.

As for your starred items, I archived the starred stories from free users who haven’t logged in in two months. And I just did it a few days ago. So you are probably the only one who even noticed. I’m happy to unarchive your starred stories (they were just moved to a cold storage). Email me your username.

Although you said you paid, in which case, you’re seeing behavior I’ve never seen before. Let me know and I’d love to work on a solution.

> Feedly has the same 30 day limit.

But it doesn’t have this 100-entry limit, which means some of my feeds have an effective limit of 1 day on NewsBlur. Even worse, Feedly will happily keep old (read) stories while NewsBlur removes them completely.

That’s not correct. NewsBlur will keep old read stories just the same, up to the limit. It’s 500 for most feeds, and 100 for single subscriber feeds. I’m upping it for high volume feeds, although considering you just asked for a refund 5 months after paying, I don’t think you care.

Just because I decided to ditch NewsBlur and ask for the refund you offered doesn’t mean I can’t still give input to this discussion :slight_smile: But don’t worry, I’ll definitely lose interest quickly now…

I’m not sure what’s incorrect about my comment, Feedly is indeed a lot more reasonable in this regard. With one of my single-subscriber feeds (which gets around 100 posts per day) NewsBlur only goes back a whopping 9 hours with 100 items, while Feedly keeps 4000 items going back 25 days.

And good job revealing that 500-entry limit, seems like another thing that’s a bit too restrictive and something you could have upped for Premium subscribers.

You know, most people are pissed off about these limits because a.) they’re not mentioned anywhere, b.) low enough to be more noticeable than in Google Reader and other services, c.) still exactly the same even if you buy a Premium subscription.

Also stories disappear after like 3 days. Haven’t checked NewsBlur for 4 days and I missed like 10 items (I know, because I use another RSS reader parallel, because of shit like this). I use readers, because I don’t want to miss anything.

1 Like

I don’t think this is related. The limit is 500 for most feeds, less for infrequently updated and some solo subscriber feeds. 4 days and 10 missing stories wouldn’t happen.