Failure to recognize >50 item blasts

Markus,

It’s pretty clear that’s exactly what this means.

I think you’re aiming to get support for a severe edge case of usage here, one that would severely impact all the other users if it were to be implemented.

I’m pretty sure i’m correct in saying that if you wanted too, you could just grab the newsblur source from github, make the required change, and run it yourself somewhere if you want to do unsupported things.

You think it’s an edge case to have a feed that updates with more than 100 items at a time? (Or rather, between each poll from NewsBlur)
As you can see here it’s many different feeds that have this problem, and I guess that there are 10-50 feeds with annoyed users for each feed that is mentioned here.

And *every* other rss reader solution handles this without any problem.

Sure, I do understand that you might have a limit on the number of items that you parse on each pass, and I do understand why you want to have a limit on the total number of items in a feed (even if the current limit of 500 is a tad on the low). But I don’t see how it can be acceptable to drop items at random in a feed just because it was to much to read at one pass.
At least there should be some indication to warn the user that you don’t have a complete feed so that you can go to the source and see what you missed!

Just silently dropping items in a feed isn’t an acceptable practice.

And “code it yourself” isn’t a good answer to a bug in a system with paying users.

It certainly isn’t a bug though is it?

A bug is a unintended defect in code.

This is an imposed limit for the benefit of the speed and sustainability of the service…

Samuel’s already offered you a refund if this is a showstopper for you, and if other services do it, why not just move to one of them? I never really understand the argument of “well other service does it” when you have the option to switch…

In my experience of trying all the other services before settling on NewsBlur, they all had significant disadvantages too!

Markus,

Newsblur simply works like this, just as Samuel explained clearly in this thread. Almost no one has a problem with that, including me. He is *not* going to change that any further.

If you don’t like that then please ask for a refund, as Samuel proposed.

Markus, it’s pretty obvious that Mr. S. Clay is not willing to openly discuss or document all these restrictions he has put in his product. I don’t like it at all, a service that is trying to hide several limitations… good riddance I say.

Take the offered money back and switch to something else that actually works. E.g. Feedly. I’m very happy with it.

lgladdy:
A limit, that for the user seems to randomly ignore one or many items in a feed without indicating that the feed is broken and misses items is by all meaningful definitions of the word, a bug.
If this really is the intended and desired effect this should be clearly stated on the site and preferably indicated in the feed.

iMarc:
I also think that this is what Samuel has written, but I find it so absurd that I really would like to see a confirmation from him. I can’t see how he don’t consider this something that must be fixed. I have no problem with if it’s a low priority fix, but I would really like to know if it’s something that he intends to correct or not.

Toussanter:
You have pointed out the problem.
I have made the switch to feedly for my daily usage, and it does the work for me.
I would like to continue to support the development of NewsBlur with my money, *if* Samuel intends to be open about things like this. But it does seem less and less likely.

I’m sorry to say Markus, but your definition of a bug is incorrect. I’m a software designer/developer/tester and I should know. But in case you don’t believe, let me quote wikipedia about software bug:

“A software bug is an error, flaw, failure, or fault in a computer program or system that produces an incorrect or unexpected result, or causes it to behave in unintended ways.”

Unfortunately the way the service works regarding this issue, is intended.

I too liked NewsBlur at the start and wanted to give it a chance despite the few problems and usability issues I found initially, but constantly finding out new limitations, like this issue at hand, which were not documented, made me switch really quickly. The way the developer handled/s these issues raised by users didn’t help either.

I’m also a developer. And I still have a hard time to grasp that he accually think that this is an intended behaviour.

For all users, (that haven’t seen this thread,) that is an unexpected behaviour with unintended results and thus a bug.

No, it’s not (a bug). You’re just pig-headed about this. It’s clearly the intended behavior by the dev, and you just can’t believe it (which you admit). It’s not a bug. So stop calling it that, call it by the real name: very stupidly designed feature.