Can't run locally hosted NewsBlur repo on Windows

Hello,
I’m a tech beginner interested in using newsblur. I’m using docker v4.26.1 on windows 11 x64. Please provide step by step installation guide for newsblur. I’m stuck and can’t understand due to lack of my experience. Please point me in the right way.
Thank you

i’m making this a public thread instead of a private message. there’s no reason the info you’re looking for shouldn’t be available to everyone.

…and i personally have no experience with installing it, but you’ll probably get a more helpful response if you explain exactly where you’re stuck.

this is where i’m stuck. Please tell me what’s wrong and how to do this right

1. Run make nb to build all of the NewsBlur containers. This will set up all necessary databases, front-end django apps, celery tasks, node apps, flask database monitor and metrics, nginx, and a haproxy load balancer.

PS C:\NewsBlur\NewsBlur> python manage.py make nb
—> Starting NewsBlur development server…
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\NewsBlur\NewsBlur\manage.py”, line 10, in
execute_from_command_line(sys.argv)
File “C:\Users\USR\AppData\Local\Packages\PythonSoftwareFoundation.Python.3.11_qbz5n2kfra8p0\LocalCache\local-packages\Python311\site-packages\django\core\management_init_.py”, line 442, in execute_from_command_line
utility.execute()
File “C:\Users\USR\AppData\Local\Packages\PythonSoftwareFoundation.Python.3.11_qbz5n2kfra8p0\LocalCache\local-packages\Python311\site-packages\django\core\management_init_.py”, line 382, in execute
settings.INSTALLED_APPS
File “C:\Users\USR\AppData\Local\Packages\PythonSoftwareFoundation.Python.3.11_qbz5n2kfra8p0\LocalCache\local-packages\Python311\site-packages\django\conf_init_.py”, line 102, in getattr
self.setup(name)
File "C:\Users\USR\AppData\Local\Packages\PythonSoftwareFoundation.Python.3.11_qbz5n2kfra8p0\LocalCache\local-packages\Python311\site-packages\django\conf_init
.py", line 89, in setup
self.wrapped = Settings(settings_module)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
File "C:\Users\USR\AppData\Local\Packages\PythonSoftwareFoundation.Python.3.11_qbz5n2kfra8p0\LocalCache\local-packages\Python311\site-packages\django\conf_init
.py", line 217, in init
mod = importlib.import_module(self.SETTINGS_MODULE)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
File "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\PythonSoftwareFoundation.Python.3.11_3.11.2032.0_x64__qbz5n2kfra8p0\Lib\importlib_init
.py", line 126, in import_module
return _bootstrap._gcd_import(name[level:], package, level)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
File “”, line 1204, in _gcd_import
File “”, line 1176, in _find_and_load
File “”, line 1147, in _find_and_load_unlocked
File “”, line 690, in _load_unlocked
File “”, line 940, in exec_module
File “”, line 241, in _call_with_frames_removed
File “C:\NewsBlur\NewsBlur\newsblur_web\settings.py”, line 643, in
AWS_ACCESS_KEY_ID = S3_ACCESS_KEY
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
NameError: name ‘S3_ACCESS_KEY’ is not defined

The command you’re running python manage.py make nb is not correct. You should be running make nb which probably won’t work on Windows. The reason you’re missing the S3_ACCESS_KEY is because settings.py imports docker_local_settings.py, but only if DOCKERBUILD is set. That gets set in the docker-compose.yml file.

Take a look at the Makefile, specifically under nb. You’ll see a docker-compose up command, with a environment variable that shows it’s being run from the makefile. Run that and you should be good.

are you pointing me to run RUNWITHMAKEBUILD=True CURRENT_UID=${CURRENT_UID} CURRENT_GID=${CURRENT_GID} docker compose -f docker-compose.yml -f docker-compose.metrics.yml up -d command in the above directory PS C:\NewsBlur\NewsBlur>

Yep, that’s the command. Take out the UID and GID but you’ll need the RUNWITHMAKEBUILD env var.

Please Help

PS C:\NewsBlur\NewsBlur> RUNWITHMAKEBUILD=True docker compose -f docker-compose.yml -f docker-compose.metrics.yml up -d
RUNWITHMAKEBUILD=True : The term ‘RUNWITHMAKEBUILD=True’ is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script
file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct
and try again.
At line:1 char:1

• RUNWITHMAKEBUILD=True docker compose -f docker-compose.yml -f docker- …
  •   + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (RUNWITHMAKEBUILD=True:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
      + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

PS C:\NewsBlur\NewsBlur> docker compose -f docker-compose.yml -f docker-compose.metrics.yml up -d RUNWITHMAKEBUILD=True
time=“2023-12-26T06:32:03+05:30” level=warning msg=“The "PWD" variable is not set. Defaulting to a blank string.”
time=“2023-12-26T06:32:03+05:30” level=warning msg=“The "PWD" variable is not set. Defaulting to a blank string.”
time=“2023-12-26T06:32:03+05:30” level=warning msg=“The "CURRENT_UID" variable is not set. Defaulting to a blank string.”
time=“2023-12-26T06:32:03+05:30” level=warning msg=“The "CURRENT_GID" variable is not set. Defaulting to a blank string.”
time=“2023-12-26T06:32:03+05:30” level=warning msg=“The "CURRENT_UID" variable is not set. Defaulting to a blank string.”
time=“2023-12-26T06:32:03+05:30” level=warning msg=“The "CURRENT_GID" variable is not set. Defaulting to a blank string.”
parsing C:\NewsBlur\NewsBlur\docker-compose.yml: error while interpolating services.newsblur_web.environment.[]: required variable RUNWITHMAKEBUILD is missing a value: Use the make command instead of docker CLI