Bug? Some feeds retain only the most recent ten stories

I have a couple of feeds for which Newsblur shows only the most recent ten stories (yes, this is “All stories” view and not just “Unread only” view).

Why is Newsblur apparently dropping stories from some feeds but not others? Where does this “ten” number come from?

The feeds in question have around 40 stories each. All ~40 stories in each feed appear when I load the feeds into a non-Newsblur RSS reader, and the feed files are rated as “valid RSS” according to the RSS validator at rssboard.org, so I have some reason to believe them to be non-broken RSS feeds.

One feed says there are “10 stories in archive” while another says “39 stories in archive”, but in each case Newsblur apparently displays only ten stories in each feed.

Screen Shot 2023-04-21 at 11.07.30 AM

Screen Shot 2023-04-21 at 11.08.00 AM

I don’t know if this is a new or old behavior. I only noticed the Newsblur omissions when I recently loaded some feeds into a different reader and saw many more stories.

Is there any hope of getting some help to figure out what’s going on?

Thanks!

I think I may have figured out what’s happening: until there is a nonzero count of read_stories_last_month for a given feed, Newsblur’s feed-fetching logic, in a function named number_of_stories_to_store, apparently artificially limits the number of stories to store at 10. Newsblur internally logs this trimming action with a message like this: Trimming down to 10 (instead of 25) stories.

As soon as there are “read” stories in the feed, the next feed fetch will pull in more stories within additional higher limits established by the number of feed subscribers.

So, not-a-bug, but design.