Automatic reloading

It would be awesome if the page kept reloading automatically, maybe using ajax or something. I hate having to refresh the page to view new content, and this feature would be awesome.

1 Like

NewsBlur already does this, at least for Premium accounts.

I have a premium account, and it doesnā€™t do this for me.

Next to the text ā€œPremium Accountā€ on the dashboard is a little progress bar; when I hover over it, it says ā€œUpdating sites in real-timeā€¦ā€. Iā€™ve also witnessed this behavior, if I leave NB open in a tab, it will update itself with a new unread-item count; in fact, this occurred when I added my first comment to this issue.

I canā€™t really speculate why itā€™s not working for you; some browser extension or incompatibility, perhaps. But the feature does exist to some degree.

Also, simply hitting ā€˜rā€™ will force an ajax-y refresh without reloading the whole page, as well.

I think the intention here is that if you keep scrolling the feeds continue to populate much like what Google Reader would do. I also have a premium account, and while a little bar on the home screen says itā€™s updating in real time, it isnā€™t actually displaying the feeds in real time. You still have to manually refresh to see the updated material.

You shouldnā€™t have to ever refresh, regardless if youā€™re in real-time or not. Check on the dashboard in the top right, there should be a little blue loading graphic. When you hover on it it should say real-time. If itā€™s red, hovering on it will tell you that your unread counts are updated every 60 seconds (or so).

I see a gray loading graphic that says updating in real timeā€¦ then when I click on my feeds (which is usually All Stories) I can scroll until the last story that was loaded when I clicked to open the feed. Anything after that point automatically updates in the counter, but I get the ā€œNewsblurā€ logo at the bottom of the feed to let me know I reached the end and then have to hit ā€œrā€ to refresh the All Stories feed and pick up from where I last loaded. Itā€™s been that way for the 15 or so months that Iā€™ve been a premium user.

Mineā€™s red and it says its updating sites every 96 seconds. Also, while the unread count keeps updating itself, in order to actually see the new items, I have to click on All Site Stories and wait for the page to reload.

Just curious if you had any ideas or updates for this issue Samuel. I still have it and experience it on every computer that I log in at. I see it at home, at my office and in other locations. Any idea what might be keeping my loading graphic grayed out or what I can do to try and fix it?

Check your plugins, try disabling all of them. It might be something disabling socket.io and web sockets.

I disabled all plugins and extensions that were running and Iā€™m still grayed out. For what itā€™s worth Iā€™m running Chrome Version 36.0.1985.125 both at home and at work, though I experienced the same issue in Firefox as well.

I donā€™t necessarily mind having to manually refresh. I was just a little surprised that apparently I was having an issue when I didnā€™t realize it. As I said earlier, this is just how Newsblur has worked for me since signing up for a premium account in March of 2013 so I have never known a different way.

I can confirm that while the read counts and folder tree contents refresh, if I leave All Site Stories *open* with read items, the All Site Stories *list contents* do not automagically refresh when new items are available; I need to re-ā€œopenā€ the All Site Stories list to get it to refresh.

Since I usually leave NB on the ā€œdashboardā€ and only use ā€œAll Site Storiesā€ incidentally to get at keyboard-based folder navigation, I never really noticed this before.

Mine stopped needing refreshing, but started again a few weeks ago. Sometimes I get as few as ten stories before having to reload the page. Iā€™m on a paid sub.