Android: not syncing between devices

I read a whole lot of articles on my tablet at home this morning. When I’d stopped with a couple of hundred to go, I marked all earlier as read, returned to the main screen, and refreshed it.

An hour later I’m walking to town with a full 4G signal. I open newsblur app, go to the main screen, refresh and there are several hundred more stories.

I refresh again, then go to the full list if articles. Sure enough, the first article is one I read much earlier this morning ;as are a whole lot of the early articles.

This has happened on several occasions but I’ve just written it off as a blip. But it is too frequent.

app version: 5.0.0
android version: 7.0 (MHA-L09C432B138)
device: HUAWEI MHA-L09 (MHA)
sqlite version: 3.9.2
username: JimB
server: default
memory: normal
speed: 47 feeds in conn:1901 read:4 parse:25 store:26
pending actions: pre:0 post:0
premium: yes
prefetch: no
keepread: no
thumbs: no

1 Like

Were the articles you read on the tablet in a feed or a folder?  When you went to read on your phone, were you reading in the same feed/folder or in the All Stories view?  Also, did the sync complete on both the first device and the second one?

If you go back to a device with Download Stories turned off (like on your phone), it will take some time to “catch up” the reading you did elsewhere when you first load a folder, especially larger folders.  It would be good to know if, after getting what appears to be a stale list of stories, does it resolve after sitting on the list for 20-30 seconds?

Sorry for the delay in responding. The vast majority of the time I read in the All Stories mode. It is rare for me to look into one feed. This issue does not happen consistently. Around 19:15 today, On my Android phone, I had “marked as read” every item prior to yesterday 17:00. They all showed greyed out. Then I started to read one of the greyed articles timed at 16:59, and opened the link to the feed’s web site before my evening meal. Tea was ready so I did not close that article to revert to the summary page in Android. After the meal, and doing some unrelated work on my PC, I thought I would catch up on the rest on my PC . This is now some 3 1/2 hours later. When I changed to the NewsBlur tab, the first article was timed at 15:45 yesterday (which is where it had been on my Android phone at 18:30 today when I started to read through and mark articles as read). So I refreshed the page, waited half a minute or so and refreshed it again. Then I went back to my phone, returned from the article I had been reading to the main list of articles, whereupon the previously marked items all reverted to unread.

I’ve now spent an hour reading articles on my PC. It NEARLY syncs with my phone. In the summary page The PC shows 111 “All Site Stories”. The phone shows 112 “ALL STORIES”. But the phone’s first 2 stories are not in the PC list. 10 minutes later, these two stories are still on Android but not PC. Screenshots follow:- PC - https://1drv.ms/i/s!AsJwfDWjTZEwgsB0a… Phone - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1G5qg…

It should generally take about 5 to 10 minutes to sync read state from PC->Android, because we would have to abuse your resources to update more often than that.  Android->PC state, though, should be nearly instant.  Open up the website in a fresh browser and go into a feed; then go to that feed on Android and read a few stories.  You should see the web’s unread count tick down within 1 or 2 seconds.  The usual culprits of network issues, malware, adblockers, or battery savers can affect things, but if you have checked for all of those and still see an issue, you are welcome to send us a detailed bug report when the next version of the app comes out (it has a cool new feature that lets our tiny team see more of what is happening on your end).