Android: Newsblur doesn't show stories

Hello,

when I open a feed in NewsBlur, it shows feed title, “Mark all as read” button, “Search” button and empty area below. Stories appear only if I press Search. The problem is observed in versions 4.7.1, 4.8.0.

In the log in this moment the following lines are printed. No errors are displayed.
I/ActivityManager(  290): START {cmp=com.newsblur/.activity.FeedItemsList (has extras)} from pid 4201
I/ActivityManager(  290): Displayed com.newsblur/.activity.FeedItemsList: +367ms

NewsBlur version: 4.8.0
Phone: Sony Ericsson MK16i
Android version: 4.0.4

Best regards,
Alexander Yampolsky

1 Like

Can you tap the “Send app feedback” link from the menu on the feed list of the app and include that information here?  That will help us diagnose any issues.

Yes, that information is as follows.

app version: 4.8.0
android version: 4.0.4 (4.1.B.0.587)
device: Sony Ericsson MK16i (unknown)
sqlite version: 3.7.4
username: admin204
memory: normal
speed: 20 feeds in conn:4208 read:45 parse:387 store:356
pending actions: pre:0 post:0
premium: no
prefetch: no
keepread: no

I’m staying with version 4.6.0 for now.

Hmm, I can’t reproduce this on modern hardware, but if I recall correctly, the '11 Xperia pro is a pretty unique device.  I wouldn’t be at all surprised if it has some special quirks we would need to work around. :(  Unfortunately, it has also become pretty rare, so though I will add it to my list of phones to grab if I ever find one at a good price, it might be a longshot.

Thank you for the reply. Yes, it is an extraordinary device and I hardly find any better among modern phones.:slight_smile:

For me it’s not a problem to stay with version 4.6.0. But if needed I can collaborate by running a some kind of debug version with extended output to console or even with remote debugging (if that is possible at all).

By the way, your application has probably the best functions-to-size ratio on Google Play. Other developers of popular apps let them bloat to tens of megabytes for no reason.

Oooh, if you are comfortable running a debug version and returning some logs to us, there is at least a chance we might be able to suss out what is going on.  I will work up a quick custom APK this week.

And thanks for the kind words about size. :)  Definitely trying to never forget that not every device has a ton of storage and that not every part of the world has crazy bandwidth!

Okay, here is a custom build with a ton of debug enabled.  Note that since this is a nightly build, it probably has some rough edges and the debug may slow it down a bit.  In order to install it, you will need to completely uninstall your existing NewsBlur APK first (and vice versa when switching back to the official builds).

https://github.com/dosiecki/dosieckihome/blob/master/NewsBlur-debug.apk?raw=true

Give that a run and if you can get the logs from the time right around when you tap into a feed, it might just shed some light on what is going wrong.  There should be easily 100+ lines that are spat out just from that tap.  Feel free to toss them into a pastebin or git gist since they will probably be too long for getsatisfaction.  Looking forward to seeing what we can dig up!

Thank you for the debug build! I removed current version and installed newly downloaded APK (version 4.8.1b3). Then I logged in, opened a feed and it showed stories at once. So, the error didn’t reproduce and the next release will probably work fine as well.

I can post the log, but I think it’s not necessary now.

When I reinstalled version 4.8.0 from Market it didn’t show stories as before.

Interesting.  I am not 100% sure there are any intentional fixes in the nightly, so we might have a heisenbug on our hands. Feel free to bump this issue if it comes back in the next official release.