sqlite version: 3.8.10.2
username: mwareman
memory: normal
speed: 0 feeds in conn:0 read:0 parse:0 store:0
premium: unknown
prefetch: yes
keepread: no

1 Like

Is this happening on a particular feed or folder?

(also, if it happens again, please be sure to submit the crash report - they help a ton!)

It happened 5 or 6 times yesterday - different folders. Each time a crash report was submitted. It only seems to happen after I performed actions in the folder (read some, saved some) before marking all as read. If I simply clicked on a feed and marked as read it worked fine.

Also to note, the marking as read was successful. When I went back in the folder had no unread.

Okay, I think I see the reports and I think they are so far limited to your one device. :(Ā  Any more info about the interaction might help me reproduce the crash on my 6.0 tests: what settings are you using for the folder (all/focus, unreads/all, oldest/newest), how many feeds are in the folder, is it a nested folder?

So - I removed the cache and stored settings so I could start afresh. On starting - I had to authenticate. Then, I set my prefered defaults (Theme - Dark, Story Order - Oldest, Read Filter - Unread Only, Download Stories - checked, Download Images - checked, Download Using - Wifi and Ethernet Only).

I only have top level folders - no subfolders under the top level. One of the folders where feeds have been crashing the app (ā€œCNNā€) has story order set to ā€˜Newest Firstā€™ to override the app wide ā€˜Oldestā€™. (Incidentally, Iā€™ve just noticed that on the web this folder is set to ā€˜Oldestā€™ - if that is relevant).

Cannot find any pattern yet other than a feed needs to have several items, you read a few of them and then click ā€˜Mark Readā€™ to mark the rest read.

Excellent, thanks for the details.Ā  Still couldnā€™t reproduce, so I suspected it might be more device-specific.Ā  Look out for the next Beta release, it will have some attempted fixes that will be worth giving a look.

I had the same issue a few days ago (a report was submitted). Itā€™s not happened as frequently as Michael though (just that once so far I think). Iā€™m on a Nexus 5 running 6.0

Was it also right after marking-read from a folder story list?Ā  Any more info we can get about these will help us track down the cause. (the crash is coming from the 6.0 Android framework, not the NewsBlur code, so it isnā€™t an easy fix, so far)

Okay, still havenā€™t succeeded in reproducing this on any of my devices, but I put in a fix that might potentially help.Ā  Keep an eye out for a Beta next week to try out!

1 Like

Iā€™m also experiencing a crash when marking all as read on my Nexus 6 on Marshmallow.

I submitted a crash report yesterday that mentioned this post. Hopefully there is something of use in it.

Has any progress been made on this issue? Itā€™s the only thing preventing me from subscribing to Newsblur.

We just published the beta on the beta channel. It has support for Android M and fixes this issue.Ā https://twitter.com/newsblur/status/658775068244226048

2 Likes

Wow! Thanks for the quick response. So far, so good. Youā€™ve got my subscription!

Thank you! Ā I hadnā€™t noticed that it updated automatically last night. Ā Testing now - Iā€™ll know soon enough as it was crashing with some frequency before. Ā Thanks

Happy to report I am not getting the crash anymore with this beta. Thank you!