Android: Great! Would love more mark as read options

I use the app daily and really like it. I have two things I’d like to share:

• I disabled any sync and Notification options but my Wakelock detector still shows me a lot of Wakeup triggers by the app. Even more than GMail. Is there any useful reason for that?
  • I would love a “Mark as read until here” button so I can mark all articles as read until my current scroll position.

Thank you very much :slight_smile:

app version: 5.2.0b2
android version: 7.1.2 (N2G47H)
device: Huawei Nexus 6P (angler)
sqlite version: 3.9.2
username: chrigi
server: default
memory: normal
speed: 70 feeds in conn:857 read:7 parse:50 store:66
pending actions: pre:0 post:0
premium: yes
prefetch: no
notifications: no
keepread: no
thumbs: yes

1 Like

> I disabled any sync and Notification options but my Wakelock detector still shows me a lot of Wakeup triggers by the app.

We still wake up regularly to see if you enabled anything.  If all forms of background sync/checks are disabled, you should see the wakelocks only last a few milliseconds as they check, and they only fire opportunistically (that is, when the device is already awake or when the system runs a ton of background stuff in a big batch; if the device is sleeping it sometimes won’t bother checking for hours).

> I would love a “Mark as read until here” button so I can mark all articles as read until my current scroll position.

Feature requested and in the pipeline: https://github.com/samuelclay/NewsBlur/issues/990

One burning question I have about this feature is, do you want the mark-to-here action to mark down to the top of the visible subset of stories or to the bottom?

The long press feature fits what I want exactly! Sorry for not noticing this feature, I will try it tomorrow. 
If there was a “Mark as red until here” button I would expect it to mark all stories as read from where I started scrolling  to the last one visible on screen. So mark to the bottom of the visible stories.

I noticed I already mentioned this on the #990 ticket, but I’d love to see a mark stories as read on scroll feature after we ship notifications. I find it indispensable on mobile, and I like *not* having it enabled on the web. I just read differently between devices.

Same question for you as posed above: how does this feature work? When is a story considered read - when the title reaches anywhere on the screen? When it hits some point on the screen? When it passes fully through the screen?  Does scrolling back through the list un-mark?