Android: catching up reading actions forever

App stalls at “catching up reading actions” and never completes that process. Has been in this state for days. Restarting the app and phone have no effect. Screenshot attached. Works fine on my tablet and has worked fine on this phone before now.

app version: 5.0.0
android version: 7.1.1 (N4F26I)
device: LGE Nexus 5X (bullhead)
sqlite version: 3.9.2
username: bsilverthorn
server: default
memory: normal
speed: 0 feeds in conn:0 read:0 parse:0 store:0
pending actions: pre:38 post:0
premium: unknown
prefetch: no
keepread: no
thumbs: yes

2 Likes

Looks like your device is having trouble talking to the NewsBlur servers for some reason.  By default, the app won’t ever throw away your activity (would be bad to not recognize that you shared or saved something!), but as you’ve noticed, this can be a problem if you actually want to keep doing things.

Short of trying the app on a different network, you can also log out and log back in, if you don’t mind losing whatever actions you lost.  Were you doing anything in particular before this happened other than reading, such as sharing or commenting?  Have you had any error messages pop up?

Logging out and in resolved the problem immediately.

I’m pretty sure it wasn’t related to client connectivity, since the same problem persisted for at least 48 hours across different wifi and cell networks and across a handset restart.

Wasn’t doing anything in particular before this happened. Was not sharing or commenting. Haven’t had any error messages.