Android: App requires logging in all the time

This started in the last week or two. It seems like i have to login to the NewsBlur app at least one per day and reconfigure all my preferences. I’ve got 3GBs free on my phone.

app version: 4.9.0
android version: 7.0 (N5D91L)
device: LGE Nexus 5X (bullhead)
sqlite version: 3.9.2
username: thecabinet
memory: normal
speed: 127 feeds in conn:251 read:16 parse:45 store:77
pending actions: pre:0 post:0
premium: yes
prefetch: no
keepread: no

1 Like

Yep, you’re not the only one to have noticed it, so I don’t think it is device specific.  I am waiting to hear back from Sam about some possible causes.

Yeah, having to log in is bad enough, but losing all config data is a major PITA.

I’ve heard a number of reports about this. I’m not sure what’s causing it but I will let you know that I upgraded all of NewsBlur’s many server side dependencies and this is likely the cause. But it’s hard to figure out what’s going on, as it seems to only effect Android users. I need to know as much about the behavior as I can get.

Having to login every day is one thing, having to login everyday at the exact same time of the day is another. Is it that the cookie is being set wrong? That’s a possibility, as I know I had to fix an unrelated HTTP header, and cookies get set in HTTP headers.

From the sounds of it, it also happens on the web, but I’ve heard many more Android reports of it. Might be that Android wipes user data on logout, whereas web and iOS do not, they just hold on to the bad newsblur auth token and keep using it until you login to refresh the token.

Daniel, possible we could change that until we figure out what’s going on?

I’ll post updates with when I have to login and anything noteworthy (first use of the day, etc.) in case there’s some pattern I haven’t noticed

Yeah, I can change it so that we just trust whatever the server sends.  The app might behave a little oddly until the next refresh, depending on what the unauthed responses look like, but it will at least avoid the data loss. 

I haven’t had to login since starting this thread. No idea if it is due to the backend change above, or because I’m opening the app more often to see if I have to login…

I’ve been logged out twice in the last week or so. In both cars, I think it was after not opening the app for either 24 hours or for an entire calendar day. I just logged in at 6:37 PM so i’ll force quit and try it again at 7 PM tomorrow.

Are you on the Beta version of the Android app?  This has been fixed there.

I’m on 4.9.0. I have no idea how to get the beta.

I’ve encountered this. I think it happens after some Newsblur app updates, but I haven’t confirmed that definitively.