Allow for comments on a shared post that does not have a comment

Agreed. As far as user interface is required, it would only take making the Reply button consistently appear.

Allowing comments more intuitively would build the Newsblur community discussion. For now, it’s just kind of awkward with sharing being the only way to start a comment thread.

Thanks for resurrecting this. I just launched this feature (and will be blogging it tomorrow morning). It’s on the web and will hit iOS and Android in due time. Thanks everybody!

It’s really important to be able to comment on the shares of your friends. Please please implement this feature.

3 Likes

It’s really important to be able to comment on the shares of your friends. This is what Google Reader allowed and if you can’t do it, it is exactly the sort of thing that will stop us from migrating to you.

Having to add a // to everything you share is, quite frankly, stupid.

3 Likes

Still disappointed to see no progress on this issue. It seems like something that plenty of users want to see, so I can’t understand why it hasn’t gained more traction. Maybe if I show some pictures of what we want, something will happen?

First, here is an unaltered screenshot of one of my friend’s shared items:

I see this sort of single-character comment on a lot of public stories too, solely for the purpose of getting a “Reply” button to appear so friends can add comments if they want. So Newsblur users are obviously figuring out ways to sort of make this work, but it’s not at all ideal (and it only works if you remember to type a dummy character in the comment field when sharing something).

Next, here’s my suggestion for how this ought to work:

Alice123 has shared an item privately, but hasn’t typed a comment. Newsblur should show the name of the friend who shared the item, plus a “Reply” button to enable replies. Behind the scenes, I imagine you’d treat this more or less the same as an item that was shared with a single-character “dummy comment”. The mechanism for replying would work exactly the same as it does now:

The only difference is that we get a “Reply” button in all cases.

Seriously, this could be so simple that I cannot understand why it doesn’t exist already. I hope the other users watching this thread will chime in on this.

6 Likes