What are your thoughts on the front-end rewrite that's now on dev.newsblur.com?

On a closer look, this is just a screen telling me that my invite request got sent, I think. Never mind… thought it was the log in screen for some reason. The rotating logo makes it look like I’m supposed to wait :slight_smile:

It turns out that this bug was because I had the “dorito” locked too high in the article window. If I move it down some, then I can scroll without marking the story above the current one as read. I mean, it still shouldn’t do it, but I’ve got a work-around.

A few thoughts:

1. in feed view, once my configured 1s mark-as-read interval passes, the title of the story in the rightmost viewport goes from bold to non-bold (like in the title list). This is actually kinda distracting. The little ghostly counter digit above the title was more than sufficient.

2. Would love a way to turn off the three icons at the lower-right of every story in feed view. These functions are already perfectly accessible via right-click menus.

3. The “'s blurblog” entry in the leftmost site list has been added up top near saved stories, etc. On a screen with very limited vertical space (read: my netbook), this takes up precious pixels. I personally wouldn’t mind if it took a click back to the dashboard or from the menu to get to these.

4. I have my setting for “When opening a site” set to “Open the oldest unread story”. It has several times jumped to the 2nd-oldest unread story.

Otherwise, lookin’ good. Don’t notice many differences and things still seem snappy. More as I find stuff . . .

Update on 4) - it’s not always the 2nd-oldest. It’s sometimes the 3rd, 4th, etc. oldest. Which is to say, one that is old, but not oldest.

This has been fixed. Thanks for letting me know. :slight_smile:

1+2) Those design decision may change in the future, but I’m pretty satisfied with them for the time being.

1. I’ll soon be adding a way to collapse blurblogs into a single Friends folder, which will allow you to read all shared stories at once. That’ll give you your space back. Gotta get built first.

2. That’s a counting bug and I’m always trying to get to the bottom of it. It should always get better over time as I increase server capacity.

This is somewhat compounded by the fact that Newsblur doesn’t remember where you have the dorito locked – so I have to unlock, move it and re-lock it each time I load the site.

1. Double clicking on a story title no longer temporarily shows the story view just for that one story. (the thing where you got a little pair of crossed green arrows overlaid on the FEED|STORY options)

2. I LOVE that when you read the last story in a feed, the feed doesn’t disappear from the leftmost feed list until you focus on a different feed. (If you’re configured to hid feeds with no stories, of course) I hope this sticks.

Now I can see where you going with NB and I LOVE it. Can’t wait to come home and try it on my iPad. Noticed many goodies, like I have now my own BlurBlog (How to delete a story?). Social Network is taking shape, already have 2 friends, etc. Keep up good work.

Woah, that’s a bug. Will be fixed later today.

As far as 3 goes, I’d love to see an option to have the friends folder act like any other folder on the site (i.e., integrated into the everything feed). This would allow the same functionality that you’re going for – reading through shares from all of your friends – by clicking on the folder, but would reduce the clicking and navigation needed to get to the friends feed in the first place.

If you find the story that you shared and want to delete in your blurblog, the “share” button on the bottom-right of the story should say “unshare.”

I just realized that selecting fb & twitter on the share dialog don’t work if you’re not logged into fb & twitter in the same browser that you’re using to access https://dev.newsblur.com. Is this expected behavior? Is there a way to check to see if fb & twitter are authenticated before enabling those buttons (like fsq does in its mobile app?) Or does this need extensive oauth-fu?

Actually they don’t work because I disabled them. I’m drastically changing those buttons. You’ll know it when they’re working. They will explicitly say “Posting to Twitter: Message”. I should probably re-hide them until then.

Sweet. Thanks for the update.

1. Fixed for both story titles and sites. Thanks for noticing this! Here’s the commit: https://github.com/samuelclay/NewsBlu…

2. You bet, this was a user request that I’ve taken to.