Unread counts incorrect (too low) for many feeds

Only started seeing this in the last few weeks, but have started noticing it with great severity in the last day or so. I click on just about any feed and the number of unread stories in it is higher than the number displayed on the folder or in the header of the story pane.

Example: http://i.imgur.com/gvvLZ.png

Maybe related to: https://getsatisfaction.com/newsblur/…

And sorta the opposite of: https://getsatisfaction.com/newsblur/…


An even better example where the count is not just off by 1, but by 3:


I’ve noticed many times feeds showing an Unread count of 1 when there were actually 2 unread stories, which means they must not have been showing at all when there was only 1 unread story. My feeds which update only once in two weeks are probably not ever appearing at all.

[Edit: Confirmed, I missed an Order of the Stick!]

1 Like

I’ve also noticed this quite a bit, and it seems to be getting worse. In the past it was usually that I’d read some items and the counts didn’t update. Now it seems like the count’s don’t accurately reflect the actual number of unread items at all, often showing no unread items when there actually are.

I’ve been having this problem for some time now (reported in a separate thread). Hopefully with more people reporting, it will be easier for Samuel to track down the problem!

This is happening, in tandem with the ghost unread items for me. Regretsy has two unread items, with a count of 1, Atlantic Wire has no unread items, with a count of 2.

I’m seeing it more often now than I ever did before…

Thanks for the update, Samuel. Good luck with the migration–I know that’s more than tricky.

This should now be resolved, but that’s because I’m running with new much faster secondary database machines that will no longer suffer from replica lag.

The real solution is coming in a week or so when I try to migrate over to the new DynamoDB, which may or may not be the best solution. But I’m going to try it out and see how it scales.


I have noticed dramatic improvements in unread count consistency–thanks!

1 Like

This problem has almost completely disappeared for me too. Thank you for all your hard work!

1 Like

This problem is starting to crop up again. I’ve seen it in 3 or 4 feeds in the past 2 days, after not seeing it at all for a few weeks. Any ideas?

i am as well still having issues with unread counts, i blamed it on the feeds themselves at the beginning as they tended to update posts quite often… also that seems to be taken care of as you can decide to show edits or not.

any hope to see that resolved once and for all?

Can also confirm this bug is back. It’s not nearly as prevalent as leading up to or during the DB outage, but it’s there.

Yep, she’s back!


I can also confirm that I also observed this behaviour since about 2 days.

OK folks, I made the big push and this bug should now be gone once and for all. If you find an unread count is wrong, it is now some sort of logic bug that I haven’t even seen before. The bug that was causing this issue was directly related to slave lag and now the slave db is no longer being used for counting unreads. Took a while but we now have a system in place that has no performance cost and works without the issues of replica lag.

Checked today and Slashdot has no new posts this morning. That just can’t be right, +1ing this bug.

That is most probably another effect of the huge server load which NewsBlur is currently suffering due to the Google Reader discontinuation announcement. See this tweet from the developer:

You should give this a day or two until everything goes back to normal.

I’ve been seeing incorrect counts on dev.newsblur.com.