"Space" doesn't work as expected after pressing "Enter"

Pressing “Space” doesn’t work as expected after pressing “Enter” for temporarily switching to Story-view mode. What I’m experiencing is that pressing “Space” after “Enter”, switches to the next story (sometimes to a random story bellow) instead of scrolling inside the story-view window. The story switch doesn’t update the story-view either, I have to again press “Enter” for the story-view to update.

This happens in production www.newsblur.com and in dev.newsblur.com on Firefox and Chrome (that’s what I tested so far).

1 Like

So the problem with scrolling in the Story view window is that it’s another site and NewsBlur doesn’t have access to its contents, which is necessary to be able to scroll it. If you click in that window, it takes focus, and then keyboard shortcuts no longer bubble up to the parent window (NewsBlur itself). It’s an awful state of affairs and there’s very little I can do.

The reason it works in the Original view is that I proxy millions of sites (essentially I keep a local cached copy of every single feed’s original site), so when you browse the Original view, you are actually looking at a local copy on NewsBlur’s servers. That’s just not possible/feasible for the Story view, as much as I would like it to be.

One possible solution is to perform on-demand caching of the Story view, which would essentially download the Story as you request it. It would take a nearly equivalent amount of time, since either you have to download the Story or NewsBlur has to download the Story. Not a terrible proposition. Considering it…

Also, this is nearly identical to what I want to make with the Text tab (the fourth tab next to the Story tab), which will download the Story and then perform some text extraction on it. This could be huge, but a bit slow, as it would take 1-2 seconds per story.

You may think, oh, 1-2 seconds is nothing. But multiple that by every single story you read and then you quickly realize why I haven’t implemented it yet. It wouldn’t even be terribly difficult – I could do both tabs in a day or two. And I plan to. If a few more people show that they’re interested in having this functionality, I’d be thrilled to build it.

So the problem with scrolling in the Story view window is that it’s another site and NewsBlur doesn’t have access to its contents, which is necessary to be able to scroll it. If you click in that window, it takes focus, and then keyboard shortcuts no longer bubble up to the parent window (NewsBlur itself). It’s an awful state of affairs and there’s very little I can do.

Ok. Not a problem, I don’t use Story view that much, but I noticed this today by accidentaly pressing on “Enter” in Feed view. It would be nice though to make the “Space” not go to other story when pressed in story-view. If it can’t scroll the story window, then “Space” shouldn’t interfere with the list of stories.

Regarding the part of caching, it’s not important for me at this time. You can leave the implementation for later, when you’re not so time-pressed.