Sharing to micro.blog

I’d love for you to add Micro.blog as a sharing service for stories. Thanks!

2 Likes

I second this, but I’d go further. Consider integrating Micropub – which is now a W3C standard – into Newsblur. This would be such a great and useful addition that would, I think, make Newsblur even more attractive. With that in place, one could share to micro.blog and beyond and also like, reply, bookmark etc and have those interactions go outside Newsblur much more easily.

1 Like

Full Micropub support would cause me to migrate from Feedly.

Sign me up for micropub as well. I’m surprised that Samuel isn’t over on micro.blog already.

Sure, I’d love to support it. What’s the URL you want NewsBlur to share to? I can have it auto-fill in the title and url. Also, for bonus credit, what’s the url of the favicon?

Micro.blog posting API: http://help.micro.blog/2017/api-posting/

Favicon: https://micro.blog/images/icons/favicon_32.png

So would everybody have a different URL? Right now the sharer only uses a single Url for everybody (think of the FB or twitter sharing url).

Better late than never. Micropub is generally advertised as an endpoint, which might well be different for each receiving site. Would also need to authorise, rather like Twitter app. But if the user were able to insert the endpoint for the site they wish to share for, I don’t think it would be that difficult to implement.

1 Like

I’m bumping this topic because I’m still very interested in Micro.blog (Micropub) support. I’m not a coder but happy to beta-test.

There’s two different discussions happening here, one seemingly about posting to micro.blog and the other about posting to any website that has a micropub endpoint. Since micro.blog accounts all have micropub endpoints the second method subsumes the first.

In general most micropub clients authenticate using an IndieAuth mechanism which micro.blog also supports and this allows apps (Newsblur in this case) to send formatted data (an article’s title, URL, and a person’s reply, for example) to be published on third party websites. Developers interested in the pieces might inquire in the IndieWeb chat about the quickest and easiest method for implementing or to see some other examples and find open sourced clients/servers that already do most of the heavy lifting. It would be great to see Newsblur added to the growing list of clients that can publish to independent third party websites.

Unless and until Newsblur were to support this, I notice that it does have IFTTT support, so one might be able to carefully write some recipes that allows some functionality to dovetail with any website that has a micropub endpoint. I’ve documented some similar work I did using IFTTT to get the Inoreader feed reader to post reads, bookmarks, and replies to others’ sites to my WordPress website using micropub. I would abandon Inoreader for a reader with good Micropub support.

(Original reply posted at: | Chris Aldrich where one can find additional useful links to resources)

1 Like