Rendering broken on Android app

Thank you Samuel - I appreciate the update!

1 Like

The good news is that rolling back the Chrome updates means that XKCD cartoons once again appear in Newsblur!

Thanks for the update. Figured this wouldn’t be a trivial fix.

1 Like

No news on this 12 days? Any update on this?

1 Like

I’m pushing as hard as I can to get this release out. We’re relying on @ojiikun, since he has the fix nearly complete. But there’s a possibility this goes another couple weeks, at which point I’m going to have to go another route to get it fixed.

Thanks for the update!

I finally came there to check if it is just me. Figured out the dark mode my myself. But I don’t like the use it a lot. Looking forward to seeing the fix. Thanks!

I’m not a complainer, but I’m really disappointed in how long this is taking to fix. I’m tired of having to use dark theme to be able to use NewBlur on my Android phone and tablet. It’s been well over a month. I pay a yearly subscription for this and I expect more. There hasn’t even been an update for over a week. You need to do better.

4 Likes

Just adding to the frustration, I keep checking the github thread, hoping for an update, and the last comment from the developer there was more than a week ago, basically saying that there’s no ETA. More than a little frustrated.

3 Likes

It’s been a while and I’m also feeling like we will have to bring in extra help if we can’t get this done by May 1st. But know that there isn’t a day where I’m not thinking about this bug and what to do about it.

1 Like

Gotta say I’m also more than a little frustrated with this, especially since the website isn’t mobile-friendly, so that’s not an option. Why wait until May 1? Bring in the extra help now, not later. It’s been far too long already.

3 Likes

If you have to blame someone for the delay, blame Google. They’re the ones who’ve been blocking app updates until maintainers jump through a bunch of new hoops. Newsblur is not the only app affected here.

Would it be any quicker or easier to try targeting SDK 26 in the meantime or does it make more sense to jump directly to 28?

If you have to blame someone for the delay, blame Google

I’m not paying Google, I’m paying NewsBlur and this is pretty basic core functionality that’s been broken for over 5 weeks…

4 Likes

I am now in the process of confirming with our Android developer to see if he can fix this in the next few days. If not, I will post a call for an Android developer on Monday and then we will have a clear path to fixing the bug. I’m so sorry this has continued for this long.

2 Likes

webview 73.0.3683.90 just came out 4/25. it does not fix it.

1 Like

It would really be a bummer if this sloooooooowwww response was due to paying Android users being perceived as less valuable than iOS users.

3 Likes

I’m not sure if this has been mentioned, but a decent fix would be to uninstall/un-update the regular Google Chrome app, and then install and use Chrome Beta.

I had been using Brave since this error started, but just installed Chrome Beta and didn’t have any issues with rendering in the Newsblur app.

Wait, the Chrome beta has fixed the issue?

I’m not great at computer/Android stuff, but I can say that when uninstalling all regular Chrome updates, and using Chrome Beta, newsblur is back to working perfectly.

okay, i’ve joined the android system webview beta, we’ll see when it offers me an update

I think it’s uninstalling all the updates that fixes Newsblur, not using Chrome Beta.

You can’t uninstall Chrome…