phantom un/read items

Looks like it’s happening all over again this morning. Yesterday evening I had under twenty “unread” items. I dug them up and marked then as read. This morning I’m up to 38 unread, and tapping on “all site stories” once again shows nothing. The new unread items show up when looking at folders or individual feeds.

Yeah, it’s the same problem. It will take 2 weeks to flush out, unfortunately. There is a quick fix: insta-fetch the Sports feeds, which will re-sync them to redis. Those feeds change their story guids, and that’s causing the discrepancy. And the way the river works is if there are no stories, it’s done. But there are more than 12 stories that have changed guids. This is fixed for the future, but if you insta-fetch those 3-4 sports feeds you subscribe to, it should fix it.

“Those feeds change their story guids, and that’s causing the discrepancy.”

This is happening for literally every one of my feeds that has an unread item; I’m up to 94 unread across 43 feeds. They can’t all be messing up their guids, could they?

…and now they’re showing up normally as unread in the All Site Stories list.

Exactly. Those 12 stories were acting as a block to those other unread stories. It only affected a few stories, but they filled the page and so you couldn’t get to the others. It should clear up and work, even immediately.

Ahhhh, I think I understand – 12 items with messed-up guids fill the first slot of stories, so later non-messed-up items don’t even get loaded?

It’s happening to me again – with the shared feeds. Can’t instafetch those…