Overly-aggressive "Email Protected" in Text View

I noticed today that NewsBlur appears to be censoring email addresses, at least in Text view. I don’t know if that’s intended or not, but I’m sure it’s unintended for it to censor things that aren’t email addresses, as in this image, where the censored text should read “ID@XBOX”.

For comparison, here’s the same paragraph but in Feed view:

The text is also not censored in the original feed at https://www.destructoid.com/feed/

This isn’t a huge issue, at least for me since I can easily just use Feed view instead of Text view for this feed, but I feel like at a bare minimum anything without a . should not be triggering this, as it cannot be a valid email.

Thanks for the wonderful product,
Andrew

Edit: I was unable to recreate this issue with a similar article from Eurogamer about the same event. I’m not sure what the difference is between the two feeds, as a quick glance at the actual feed URL does not show this issue.

Nope, it’s not NewsBlur doing it. NewsBlur doesn’t rewrite any of the content. This is from their site.

1 Like

Also, the Text view doesn’t come from the RSS feed, it comes from the site itself.

1 Like