One cannot manually re-order feeds without NB re-ordering them all

If one drags a feed to a new location, NewsBlur re-orders all feeds alphabetically by title.

3 Likes

Yup, that’s the way it is for now. Custom ordering is something I’d love to get in, but it’s pretty low on the priority totem pole for now.

By the way, since this has come up before, there *is* another possible ordering: sort by use. It’s under Preferences. This may have the intended effect you’re looking for. Try it out and let me know.

Yes, that’s actually why I am so incredibly pissed because it was sort by use, until my Mac switched into drag-and-drop mode and moved an item when I was just trying to move the mouse. However, because the list view still allows items to be pretend-moved, NB has now forgotten the most viewed feeds.

I am sure that in a week or so, it will have re-learned the 6 most popular or whatever, but I wanted to complain instead of just seething about it.

Ahh, it hasn’t forgotten about your settings at all. It uses a much smarter and well-preserved count to figure out which feed goes where. It just mistakenly re-ordered them in alphabetical (and it should know better). I’ll look into it now. It should have maybe re-ordered alphabetically (as far as the bug goes), and then when you refresh the page, they would be back to ordered by use.

But the way, I can completely understand being pissed that NewsBlur disregarded your settings. I’d be, too. Just let me know when it happens, so I can fix it. It’s pretty easy to form an emotional attachment to software, so if you are really feeling the itch, feel free to take matters into your own hands by installing your own copy and adding any pet features you’d like to see. I’ll clean up any code submitted, so even trying may be enough to have me finish off the task.

http://github.com/samuelclay/NewsBlur

Just confirmed that if you reload the page, everything is as it should be. So not the worst bug, but something I’ll try to fix at some point.

1 Like

And this has now been fixed. Try it out and let me know if it works for you. This was a long-standing bug, and it was quite difficult to finally pin down, but it’s now in pretty good shape. Drag-and-drop away.

I can confirm that after reloading the page, it has restored the “learned” order. I guess that goes to show that a page “reboot” cures all ills, eh? :wink:

Thanks so much for your help with this!

The fact that your (our?) newsreader is open source is why I am a premium member. And when I first saw some bugs, I was excited to jump in and submit patches instead of whining.

But after reading the installation instructions, with so many moving parts and crazy technologies that normal folks don’t have lying around the office, I decided to leave it to the professionals. I’m glad that setup works for you, but I’m also glad that I am not employee #2.