Odd iPhone Connection Problem - RESOLVED

I’m having a very bizarre problem with the iOS app. I’m getting stuck on the “counting is difficult” whenever I try to refresh my feeds. The app will display “The server barfed” and then either stay stuck on “Counting is difficult” or it will display “offline.”

But this is the bizarre part: it seems to only do this in the evenings. I’ve rebooted my iPhone, reinstalled the app, disabled iCloud backup of NewsBlur, but it seems that I only have connection issues in the evenings. In the morning, I can connect fine. This problem occurs when I’m on WiFi and on cellular. I’m running the latest version of iOS on my iPhone.

This has been happening for the week or so and I’m at a loss of what else I can do to troubleshoot. I can connect fine when I go to newsblur.com on my iPhone, so it seems to be just an issue with the app. And when I click on links inside stories and bring up the in-app safari viewer, I can connect to other webpages without issue, so it’s not an issue with my local WiFi network. And NewsBlur is fetching stories, but the “counting is difficult” banner hangs indefinitely at the bottom of the screen.

Are there log files that I can generate to see what’s happening at a lower system level when the app tries to connect to NewsBlur’s servers?

Does anyone have any suggestions or possibly experienced this same behavior?

Short of erasing my phone and reinstalling iOS, I’m not sure what to do.

EDIT: This problem happens not just during the night— it’s seemingly random and occurs even after restoring my device.

EDIT 2: I muted and then un-muted each of my feeds individually and discovered the problem was due to a particular feed: https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/feed/ The odd thing is that the site settings in NewsBlur reports status codes of 200 for both the RSS address and website URL. After deleting this feed and then re-adding it in the iOS app, the “server barfed” problem disappeared immediately.

Just wanted to throw this information out there to anyone who may be experience similar issues. It could be related to a particular feed, even if NewsBlur doesn’t report that feed is having problems (either via HTTPS status codes in the Site Settings, or via the yellow exclamation point when in a web browser)

1 Like