Not able to add NSFW Tumblr blogs to Newsblur anymore.

I’m guessing this problem is caused by Tumblr’s recent change to redirect you to https://www.tumblr.com/safe-mode?{actual-tumblr-blog-url} if the blog is flagged as NSFW and you’re not logged in.

I’ve got existing NSFW flagged blogs that are being checked okay, it just seems to be a problem if I try and add a new one.

Anyone know of any ways of getting round this?

1 Like

AFAIK, there’s no way to get at those RSS feed without logging in - I understand this rules out almost all server-side aggregators like NewsBlur.
However, in-browser aggregators (such as FeedBro) can use your existing sessions (cookies), and can successfully read those feeds.

Not an ideal situation, but Tumblr is becoming quite hostile to NSFW content. Maybe there’s a competing service everyone could switch to?

Feedburner seems to work just fine with Tumblr’s NSFW feeds. That seems to indicate Newsblur should be able to fetch them somehow. As a stop gap, use Feedburner to burn the feed, and then add that to your Newsblur.

2 Likes

Nice, Jordan! I never thought to try FeedBurner. A quick test in an incognito window worked fine.

Tumblr must have an exception for FeedBurner… I wonder if they’d add NewsBlur to that?