Navigating the item list

I am having trouble navigating the item list. I have a number of feeds with large item counts. So, I like set a long item list, quickly look them over and then bring up another page, and continue till I reach the end.

The problem is that I can’t seem to find a way to do this very easily in Blur. When my scan reaches the bottom of the page, and I hit page down (or mouse scroll), I end up bringing in about 1/4 of the item feed length I have set. If I have the length set to show 32 items, I can bring in about 8 new items instead of a fresh 32. Is there some way to do what I want? TIA

1 Like

Not sure what you mean. What are you trying to change about how paging works?

Sorry I wasn’t clear . . let me try again. When you click on a feed name in the left column, a list of items will open on the bottom right section of the screen. Everything I am talking about refers to this list.

Now, let’s say the feed that I opened has 300 unread items, and that 30 of them are visible in this list. I will quickly scan the 30 items, without doing anything on Blur. What I want to do is quickly and easily bring up the next 30 unread items.

I hope this explains it better. I actually just realized that I could click on the last visible item, at the bottom of the list, and then hit page down a few times, and that will get me a full page of new items. So that isn’t really too bad. I don’t know if I am missing something . . and of course it would be great if there was some keyboard or mouse action that would do this with one try.

And you don’t want to scroll? Try the ‘m’ keyboard shortcut, which loads the bottom-mode story.

No, it isn’t that I don’t want to scroll. It is that I like to scroll once, when at the bottom of the page, so I that can quickly scan a lot of items. I get moving quickly and am used to hitting page down once to bring up a full page of new items. It works for me so that I don’t even have to think about scrolling, and I am just looking at a new page just as I am visually canning the bottom item.

Also, sometimes I want to quickly go back and look at an item again. I often know exactly how many pages back the item is located. Then, I can just hit that number of page ups.

So, unfortunately, the ‘m’ shortcut won’t help. I just had a thought about whether the results I am getting might be browser-specific. I have been using Firefox and have not yet run Blur on Chrome. I think I will try it out and see if any difference is there.

There shouldn’t be any difference. Try the List view and configuring the space bar, which can scroll down a page for you. That might be closer to what you’re looking for.

I tried what you suggested . . actually sounded quite good and thinking it would solve my problem. But in practice, it is not working out. When I have a page full of items (in List view) and then hit the space bar (set at 100% scroll), it will advance the page only as far as the scroll bar has room to advance. And if I hit the space bar again, nothing happens.

I was really hoping this method would be an easy way to advance a full page at a time.

The Feedly iOS app has this. They call them cards, but you’re essentially paging through story titles. NewsBlur doesn’t really offer that format, as it’s more magazine-like than I care for, and nobody’s really asked for it.

Thanks for the clarification. I don’t really use iOS, so Feedly will not help. If I decide to go with Blur, I will just work around to suit my navigational needs.